Topic locked

Re: Wyldecrest Park Homes World Seniors Championship !!!!

Postby Witz78

2-0 Parrott

No disrespect to Dennis but that was never going to be trouble for John

And no disrespect to Cliff but Jimmy will breeze through that one too.

Bit of a damp squib this World Seniors to be honest, was pretty obvious from the start though. Having current tour players was always a bad idea IMO as the gulf between them and the retired guys was always going to be too much, perhaps a handicap points system should have been adopted to even things up a bit.

Also, with the event being held over 3 days and matches of a very small length, theres no reason why we couldnt have had at least 16 players involved to give the fans a glimpse to see more stars from the past.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:2-0 Parrott

No disrespect to Dennis but that was never going to be trouble for John

And no disrespect to Cliff but Jimmy will breeze through that one too.

Bit of a damp squib this World Seniors to be honest, was pretty obvious from the start though. Having current tour players was always a bad idea IMO as the gulf between them and the retired guys was always going to be too much, perhaps a handicap points system should have been adopted to even things up a bit.

Also, with the event being held over 3 days and matches of a very small length, theres no reason why we couldnt have had at least 16 players involved to give the fans a glimpse to see more stars from the past.

yes

dont understand this 9 man event with ebdon fanning about singing etc

in 1991 they had a 16 man event with the likes of Michael Ferreira and Mike Massey making up the numbers.

1991 Results

Last 16

Dennis Taylor 5-2 Mike Massey
Colin Roscoe 5-3 Cliff Thorburn
Eddie Charlton 5-0 John Spencer
Silvino Francisco 5-4 Alex Higgins
Terry Griffiths 5-0 Fred Davis
Murdo Macleod 5-4 John Virgo
Cliff Wilson 5-0 Rex Williams
Doug Mountjoy 5-2 Michael Ferreira

Quarter Finals

Dennis Taylor 5-2 Colin Roscoe
Eddie Charlton 5-3 Silvino Francisco
Terry Griffiths 5-2 Murdo Macleod
Cliff Wilson 5-4 Doug Mountjoy

Semi Finals

Eddie Charlton 5-3 Dennis Taylor
Cliff Wilson 5-3 Terry Griffiths

Final

Cliff Wilson 5-4 Eddie Charlton

Postby Wildey

Nigel Bond 2-0 Peter Ebdon
Nigel Bond 2-0 Ken Doherty
Steve Davis 2-0 Joe Johnson
John Parrott 2-0 Dennis Taylor
Jimmy White 2-0 Cliff Thorburn

anyone found the theme to the Tournament yet :redneck:

Postby Roland

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:Nigel Bond 2-0 Peter Ebdon

Is it two nil?

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:

Is it two nil?

god your quick tonight :redneck:

Postby randam05

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:
Sonny wrote:

Is it two nil?

god your quick tonight :redneck:

Well, no suprises there. Probably lots of crap play.

Postby Monique

Not so sure about crap play: Bond, Davis and Jimmy had a few good breaks.
And whatever, they seem to have a lot of fun. Here is an excerpt of Dave Hendon's tweets
davehendon David Hendon
And Virgo's doing his impressions later, followed by an Indian buffet, followed by beer. Beats the X-Factor anyday.

Commentated with Peter Ebdon earlier. He was very good, easy to see why he's had such longevity.

Last night's snooker themed pudding http://twitpic.com/34hd94

For those asking about TV, Sky are showing seven hour long highlights programmes over Christmas

Jimmy breaks of 81 and 54 against the Grinder. Davis v White final?

Michaela has reprimanded me for not tweeting enough. All good fun here. Good mix between all the banter and serious snooker. Big crowds too

tweets to be read from bottom to top ...

Postby Wildey

yes i think standard of play good from the winners but the standard of match was lacking nobody fault its just the players warent matched up well apart from Bond/Ebdon

tonight theres a more competitive feel and its only on live scoring.

Postby Wildey

Steve Davis leading 2-1 bond at the table in frame 4

i think Best of 3s never really let the old pros get a chance they lose 1st frame then under pressure straight away when they not really experience pressure at this level for over 10 to 15 years.

if they do this next year Best of 7s should be minimum.

Postby Wildey

Steve Davis the Senior of Senior with 32 years a pro behind him is in the final of the Seniors World Championship with a 3-1 win over Nigel Bond.

will it be a Repeat of the 1989 Final and a BBC Pundit Final against John Parrott or a Repeat of the 1984 Final against the non winner of a World Title Jimmy White.

Semi Final 2 Jimmy White v John Parrott is at 12pm tomorrow afternoon.

Postby SnookerFan

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:Steve Davis the Senior of Senior with 32 years a pro behind him is in the final of the Seniors World Championship with a 3-1 win over Nigel Bond.

will it be a Repeat of the 1989 Final and a BBC Pundit Final against John Parrott or a Repeat of the 1984 Final against the non winner of a World Title Jimmy White.

Semi Final 2 Jimmy White v John Parrott is at 12pm tomorrow afternoon.

And a rematch of that match they had in, what, 2007. I was at The Crucible watching that one. :wave:

Postby Witz78

well i gave it a go Wild.

i went over to Snooker Scene blog there and pretty much summed up what most folk on here tink, and slated the format etc of the Seniors event but think Hendon must have got out of bed the wrong side cos hes came back with a bit of a mad rant without actually answering my points haha

Postby PLtheRef

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:yes i think standard of play good from the winners but the standard of match was lacking nobody fault its just the players warent matched up well apart from Bond/Ebdon

The thing is that this was never really set up to be a truly competitive battle for the title. With the 1991 version, all 16 players were playing on the tour at that time or were playing consistently professional at the time- 1 in 8 of the 128 members on the tour. 1/8 of the current tour would be 12 which would be I think enough four a four day competition. Considering how less often the retired pros play I think 5,5,7,9 would be the better format for this.

As I said all 16 were playing professionally at that time - this time, four of the nine this year are retired, some of them have been retired for 8 or 9 years, Thorburn for 15 years.

DT summed it up brilliantly saying 'It took me 15 hours to win the world championship, and 15 minutes to lose this one')

I would say the simple way of solving this and making it competitive is to split the draw, active pros and retired players that way one retired player is guaranteed to make the final of the championship and given two or three matches table time, would put up more of a fight than coming up against someone over three frames first up.

Postby Witz78

PLtheRef wrote:
wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:yes i think standard of play good from the winners but the standard of match was lacking nobody fault its just the players warent matched up well apart from Bond/Ebdon

The thing is that this was never really set up to be a truly competitive battle for the title. With the 1991 version, all 16 players were playing on the tour at that time or were playing consistently professional at the time- 1 in 8 of the 128 members on the tour. 1/8 of the current tour would be 12 which would be I think enough four a four day competition. Considering how less often the retired pros play I think 5,5,7,9 would be the better format for this.

As I said all 16 were playing professionally at that time - this time, four of the nine this year are retired, some of them have been retired for 8 or 9 years, Thorburn for 15 years.

DT summed it up brilliantly saying 'It took me 15 hours to win the world championship, and 15 minutes to lose this one')

I would say the simple way of solving this and making it competitive is to split the draw, active pros and retired players that way one retired player is guaranteed to make the final of the championship and given two or three matches table time, would put up more of a fight than coming up against someone over three frames first up.

exactly my thoughts, try telling Hendon that though !! <doh>

Postby Witz78

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:World no 98 John Parrott has taken a 2-0 lead over Jimmy White

98 rofl

its a joke WS classify those who dropped off the tour in the rankings.

Infact the way i see it anyone who plays on the PTC if they gain enough ranking points should be able to jump onto the tour middway through the season at expense of those at the bottom.

A joke Stalins bumboy Song :love: was something like 54 on the on year list but got bombed out cos you know whos coming back. <doh>

Postby Witz78

Good comeback Jimmy from 0-2 down to beat Parrott.

Id make Jimmy favourite to beat Davis now, Jimmys still scoring well among the balls, something Davis struggles with now. Of course if Davis turns it into a safety battle therell only be one winner!

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Infact the way i see it anyone who plays on the PTC if they gain enough ranking points should be able to jump onto the tour middway through the season at expense of those at the bottom.

I Think that would have been too radical 2 soon but surely that will be a step taken after the PTC is established.

it makes perfect sense to me if you get enough points to get in to the Top 96 then you earn your spot for the next World Ranking Tournaments after cut 1 or cut 2 or cut 3.

Postby SnookerFan

From the World Snooker website. "Steve Davis drew within one match of adding the Wyldecrest Park Homes World Seniors Championship to his six world titles thanks to a 3-1 semi-final victory over Nigel Bond." Does this mean The Nugget could become a 7-time world champion? rofl

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:From the World Snooker website. "Steve Davis drew within one match of adding the Wyldecrest Park Homes World Seniors Championship to his six world titles thanks to a 3-1 semi-final victory over Nigel Bond." Does this mean The Nugget could become a 7-time world champion? rofl

Not quite :evilgrin: but it would put The Nugget onto 82 professional titles (8 more than Hendry ) <ok>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:From the World Snooker website. "Steve Davis drew within one match of adding the Wyldecrest Park Homes World Seniors Championship to his six world titles thanks to a 3-1 semi-final victory over Nigel Bond." Does this mean The Nugget could become a 7-time world champion? rofl

Not quite :evilgrin: but it would put The Nugget onto 82 professional titles (8 more than Hendry ) <ok>

Lets Get 1 thing straight within that 82 titles theres 3 or 4 Pot Blacks also 80s Tournaments that was Organised By Matchroom For Matchroom Players

Postby Witz78

wildLOVESWAGNER wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

Lets Get 1 thing straight within that 82 titles theres 3 or 4 Pot Blacks also 80s Tournaments that was Organised By Matchroom For Matchroom Players

lets get an0ther thing straight :evilgrin1:

Davis would be ahead of Hendry in the ranking tournaments won if thered been an equal number of ranking events on the calendar in his day. The fact 2 of his 6 UK wins dont count is almost as laughable as 2 time WC and 1 time UK winner Alex Higgins being classed as only having won 1 ranking event <doh>

Yes Steve has 4 pot blacks. Hendry has 6 Premier Leagues to Davis 4 though and.............. :john:

Hendrys total actually includes a Snooker Legends event from last year rofl