Topic locked

Re: 12bet.com World Open Final Day Discussion!!!!!!!

Postby Bourne

thetubberlad wrote:Shanghai - 17
World Open - 9
UK - 31
Masters - 19
Wales - 17
China - 17
World - 35

<ok>

I think the jump from BO17 to BO31 in the UK is too big, maybe BO25 ...

Postby Roland

Glad to see so much sense being talked on here about shortening the Worlds.

I'm pretty amazed that we've not had a decent final for a number of years. Selby coming back a bit at Higgins was the last real excitement and that was only for one session. I loved the Ebdon v Dott final but I'm a pureist and can understand why people wouldn't. But there never used to be an issue and suddenly for some, let's call them stupid people there is.

One of the highlights of my year is taking the 2nd week off work and watching the remaining second round matches, all the quarter-finals, semis and final. It's a snookerfest and long may it continue until I'm no longer on planet earth. I love the semi-finals being over 3 days, it's festival time. And how can you not have a 2 day final? It's preposterous to even contemplate it, let alone carry it out.

Postby onlyevertonjon

Sonny wrote:Glad to see so much sense being talked on here about shortening the Worlds.

I'm pretty amazed that we've not had a decent final for a number of years. Selby coming back a bit at Higgins was the last real excitement and that was only for one session. I loved the Ebdon v Dott final but I'm a pureist and can understand why people wouldn't. But there never used to be an issue and suddenly for some, let's call them stupid people there is.

One of the highlights of my year is taking the 2nd week off work and watching the remaining second round matches, all the quarter-finals, semis and final. It's a snookerfest and long may it continue until I'm no longer on planet earth. I love the semi-finals being over 3 days, it's festival time. And how can you not have a 2 day final? It's preposterous to even contemplate it, let alone carry it out.

I take all 17 days off. I love that time of year and how Steve Davis of all people can say shorten it is unreal. I hope Stephen Hendry becomes full time on the BEEB because he wont toe the line!

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Alex0paul WC wrote:You could easily do a best of 25 in a day.

6 frames at 10am
9 frames at 2pm
10 frames at 7pm

I like the thinking however I can't see too many people paying to get in to see 6 frames @ 10am.

There's a lot they need to sort out apart from this. Finish times is one. What I am worried about, is 'them' thinking that if Snooker goes on for too long, start showing the comps from the quarters on, last 16 at best.

I get the impression that they'll be looking to compromise soon. Just hope that ain't it.
I certainly don't mind being wrong here on that one, so feel free....

Postby paperbackwriter

A great performance from Robbo and whatever he achieves next, I won't be surprised- even if he defends the undefendable (not saying that I'd put my money on that though). He's extremely smart, he can stay focused and motivated in most situations, knows well what he's in for- I guess luck always sticks to such people. Still, I'm never thrilled to watch him and can't see that changing.

Polish commentators were disappointingly enthusiastic about shortening Worlds too, I don't really get how people who are into snooker for years can like this idea.

Postby Roland

Bourne wrote:Sonny I remember you saying at the end of last season you had Selby ahead of Robbo, would you still say that ;)

Robbo is the man of the moment. I guess I must be looking through biased spectacles but it has seemed for some time now that Robbo manages to avoid the names that Selby doesn't in the draws but Robbo beats whoever is in front of him on a more consistent basis. Same with Carter. I would like the three of them to have more big time matches at the thick end of tournaments because that's the real place you get to see who is the best of the three and what the order is.

Robbo is currently riding the wave, but would Selby be riding the wave if draws had worked out differently for him so instead of coming up against Higgins, then O'Sullivan etc in early rounds. these people were taking each other out in another part of the draw?

I can't take anything away from Robbo. 6 out of 6 in ranking event finals - you can't do any better can you? Tournament wins under the belt especially the World Championships breeds confidence. If Higgins had folded when Selby got back to 13-11 in 2007 instead of waking up and powering to the line and if O'Sullivan hadn't got a 147 at 8-8 in the UK semi then who knows what wave Selby would be riding on now? Because he can beat all the other players, your Dings, your Maguires, your Murphys. and when you're coming up against big players in early rounds who are playing well and you lose, you don't rack up the points to climb the seedings and you end up facing another top player in an early round in the next event. At least the rolling rankings will help him out because he will gain points and places at the 2nd season seeding refresh and a win at the UK could see him challenge Robbo and at the very least, leave him away from the big players in early rounds.

Selby has pedigree and so does Robbo and hopefully the pair of them will have a few showdowns over the next few seasons, and hopefully Selby can get a World Title under his belt to get the monkey off his back and then we'll see how good he really can be. We've seen this week what winning a World title has done for Robbo. And on current form, I would fancy Robbo to beat Selby but I would like to find out instead of hypothesising about it.

Ramble over. Bed time. Good night everyone :santa:

Postby Wildey

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:
onlyevertonjon wrote:If they shorten it a guy could win 15 times and I still wouldnt compare it to Hendry's record.

That's fair comment. :clap:

My initial reaction to how that made me think was a negative one to say the least. Therefore I'll hold fire & hope that it don't happen.

if i was a 17 year old kid starting out looking at the record of hendry ,Davis even Ronnie and Higgins and the tournament they won to be WC Wasn't there id be snake hissed off like you wouldn't believe.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:Glad to see so much sense being talked on here about shortening the Worlds.

Agreed. What snooker fan wouldn't?

Though I noticed Ronnie got in a mention again before last night's final that he thought the world's should've been shorter as people 'only watch the last session'. He wasn't the only one either. John Parrot was getting stuck in. And even Steve Davis seemed to refrain from telling everybody to stop talking rubbish.

<doh>

Postby Thompson Lykes

footygirl wrote:I am travelling home on the train from Glasgow - exhausted. Thanks to everyone for the feedbacl to my work. It is appreciated. The day you think you can't improve is the day that you have lost the plot

Unlike some, you were there throughout. I have no comments other than what is 'feedbacl'?

Postby randam05

rocket_ron wrote:
randam05 wrote:right i am off now, college tomorrow :sad:

Will catch up tomorrow, see ya all

what you learning?

studying graphics, art, english language and geography.

:shake: