Topic locked

No shocks!

Postby Casey

Many though that the best of 5's would be very much a lottery. Well with 1 match left in the last 32 there have been no real shocks so far.

Murphy losing to Harold might be considered one, however Murphy has only won 3 first round best of 9's in the last two seasons. Barry Hawkings beating Selby wasn't a major shock either, Barry is a recent top 16 player.

I am glad the better players have brought their best game to the table and it proves that there is more to snooker than just the amount of frames.

Re: No shocks!

Postby SnookerFan

I don't really know where this idea of there being shocks came from to be honest. Put a load of players who have no experience playing on TV in front of camera, then tell them it's a maximum pressure best of five match where one mistake can cost you the whole game.

Did we really expect them to win?

Postby Bourne

I think what we're seeing in this tournament so far more than anything is a test of players' cahunas, making the right shot choice at the right time and being tested under more pressure, that's why the top guys are coming through so far.

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:I think what we're seeing in this tournament so far more than anything is a test of players' cahunas, making the right shot choice at the right time and being tested under more pressure, that's why the top guys are coming through so far.

Exactly. Some said this tournament would also be about risks. But it hasn't necessarily. Like you say, the right shot at the right time... Not taking on risky shots just for the sake of it.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

A bit of me wanted a player well down the rankings to win this if I'm honest, because of the £100k first prize on offer, so that it would put some decent poke their way. I'll leave the bigging up of this tourno to the people who get paid for that, Hazel & co.....

It doesn't look like that's gonna' happen, well it hasn't happened yet, tho I thought Andrew Higginson cue'd really well today, got in, didn't clear up, but done some damage & won pretty handsomely.

He has Neil Robertson up next, I might touch that if I can get bigger than 5/2 on him beating the WC (No disrespect meant your way GJ).
Another player I like, who is Barry Hawkins, will need to play well this evening as Mark Williams could play to any standard in anyone's front room. He'll need to this evening. That match could go 3-2 either way.

Other than that, I'm enjoying this comp. All the players have their backs to the wall as there is no settling in period for them. Do it, or get of the pot.

Postby Wildey

Dont Forget Hendry winning this would be just as much a shock as a player rank 100.

there is still enough players still in to be considered a shock winner.

Barry Hawkins
Liu Song
Stephen Hendry
Alan Mcmanus
Andrew Higginson
Stephen Lee
Martin Gould

every one of them for different reason would be some sort of shock.

even having Cope for his First win here or Walden winning his Second Ranking Title would be minor Shocks.

Postby Bourne

Hendry winning would be an eyebrow raiser maybe but not a shock definitely, we all know he's still good enough if Burnett can make a final then there's no reason Hendry can't, I think only McManus/Song/Higginson winning could be considered shocks everyone else is more than capable at this standard.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Hendry winning would be an eyebrow raiser maybe but not a shock definitely, we all know he's still good enough if Burnett can make a final then there's no reason Hendry can't, I think only McManus/Song/Higginson winning could be considered shocks everyone else is more than capable at this standard.

yes they wouldn't be major shocks but still more achievable i feel over 5 frames semi finals if they go to that stage than a Best of 11 Semi would be playing top players like Ding,Ronnie etc.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Bourne wrote:Hendry winning would be an eyebrow raiser maybe but not a shock definitely, we all know he's still good enough if Burnett can make a final then there's no reason Hendry can't, I think only McManus/Song/Higginson winning could be considered shocks everyone else is more than capable at this standard.

Higginson is a good player Bourne (forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know), he may not be a 1 chance player, but give him 2, sometimes 3, & he'll win. I like the guy as a player, went as far as backing him to win the World's in '09 but he came up short in the 1st round against smurph 10-8. He should have beat him.

Of course from a romantic perspective, I want Stephen Hendry to win this now. For me, having hung around him, said nowt & just watched & listened to him, he is the Great One in my eyes. 2nd only to my Mrs. :bowdown:

Right said Fred. I'm going out for an hour or two. My beautiful wife went on a girlie one to Bulgaria today. So....Can you kick it? Yes you can. <laugh>

:dance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrlJX7DzLhI

Turn it Up. This is the song the sound boys use when testing their rigs. <ok>

Postby Roland

Remember Higginson's run in the Welsh when he got a 147 along the way to the final? I was gutted when he lost. I can't remember who to now because he was the player of the tournament. The thing that struck me most about him though is what a thoroughly nice bloke he is.

Postby kriss

Theres been no shocks as such but Ive seen matches where the better player has lost or the scoreline hasnt at all reflected the match- thats indicative of shorter matches.

It raises an interesting point though- that the correct shot in a best of 5 frame is the same as the correct shot in a best of 35...

The better players should still win these games...

Postby Bourne

Yeh I wasn't trying to badmouth him he seems a top guy but with so many of the top players still in this tournament I think it would take something a little out of the ordinary for Andrew to win this, he got the win today but Marco was very poor and someone like Robbo next round won't offer so many chances and maybe find him out.

Postby Roland

Oh I don't think Higginson will win unless he reproduces his form of that Welsh Open. But he is a really sound guy. Someone who would be great company over a few ales.