Topic locked

Re: Ronnie's 147

Postby SnookerFan

I think the real issue here is that Ronnie didn't get paid.

I mean, who cares what his paying fans want to watch? <doh>

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
Monique wrote:Jan Verhaas on twitter:
Just to clear the air, the ref's in charge and decides when a match is finished. The 147 stands.

That's the answer ... from the ref.

cant believe thats being debated...

Ronnie potted the Black to make his 10th 147.end of debating that

seen players on a break missed a ball on a break of 80 shake hands the ball fluked in to another pocket and he goes on to make a century.

Great Break and very entertaining.

Postby kriss

Everytime I come round to liking Ronnie he does something like this. I mean how arrogant can you get- proudly annoucing to the world he isnt interesting in entertaining the crowds unless theres a big cheque at the end of it.

The reds were absolutely perfect- not a single one near a cushion or in the baulk half of the table- none covering each other. The guy is a genius on the table but it never ceases to amaze me how infactuated the fans are with him considering how arrogantly he behaves.

If mazimums are so easy how come hes only had 9? Todays didnt count as he conceded the match on 140 points.

Postby Wildey

kriss wrote:Everytime I come round to liking Ronnie he does something like this. I mean how arrogant can you get- proudly annoucing to the world he isnt interesting in entertaining the crowds unless theres a big cheque at the end of it.

The reds were absolutely perfect- not a single one near a cushion or in the baulk half of the table- none covering each other. The guy is a genius on the table but it never ceases to amaze me how infactuated the fans are with him considering how arrogantly he behaves.

If mazimums are so easy how come hes only had 9? Todays didnt count as he conceded the match on 140 points.

i want to separate the Break from his atetute.

The Break was fantastic and showcasing his Brilliance the Atetute was that of a plank to be honest...

he knew there was no price for the 147 thats the only reason he made a fuss of it.

Postby kriss

I think he took one look at the reds and thought jeez the 147 is very much on... so he took the opportunity to imply he can knock them in for fun as and when he wants by discussing the top prize with Jan after only 2 pots.

The fact remains that hes only made 10 maximums... which hardly indicates they are without effort.

Im sorry but its just the arrogance. I would have really enjoyed the break if he hadnt created the whole circus about it. If the sport is so easy for him why doesnt he set his sights on winning 8 world titles....

Postby gallantrabbit

I think if I'd been in the crowd I'd have encouraged a round of w@**ker signs. And then pinched the black from the table so he couldn't complete number 10.
I will never change my view that he's an attention seeking spoilt little boy. Pathetic.
Ronnie has done NOTHING to promote the game and now he was going to deprive kids of seeing a genius max??
I want Jimmy to win every match but Thursday the pressure is on son!!!

Postby SnookerFan

gallantrabbit wrote:I think if I'd been in the crowd I'd have encouraged a round of w@**ker signs. And then pinched the black from the table so he couldn't complete number 10.
I will never change my view that he's an attention seeking spoilt little boy. Pathetic.
Ronnie has done NOTHING to promote the game and now he was going to deprive kids of seeing a genius max??
I want Jimmy to win every match but Thursday the pressure is on son!!!

Yeah. The guy is a tool.

Postby Sickpotter

Monique wrote:
Just to clear the air, the ref's in charge and decides when a match is finished. The 147 stands.

That's the answer ... from the ref.

Interesting and quite the opposite of what I would've thought.

Here's why:

Suppose someone needs hooks to win a frame, decides it's not worth their time and so walks over to shake their opponents hand. Can the ref then turn around and tell them no, they have to play for hooks?

I don't disagree that the ref is in charge but they certainly do not decide when a match is done, the player does.

Postby Monique

SnookerFan wrote:I think the real issue here is that Ronnie didn't get paid.

I mean, who cares what his paying fans want to watch? <doh>

Well his paying fans DID watch a maximum and it's not as if Jan had to discuss for hours to persuade him innit? I can assure you that if Ronnie had REALLY be adamant not to pot the black he wouldn't have done it. He's very much his own man and he can be extremely stubborn.

In today's sports world the profile of any sport is very much judged by the amount of money its top contenders earn and what they get for their performances. Barry Hearn maybe has no choice but fact is that by supressing the "maximum bonus" he is devaluating them and as Ronnie said they remain magical moments and should be rewarded appropriately because indeed it's not as there is one made every day or even week ... we had only 2 last season. He's made "only" 10 and thats more than anyone else.
It's not the first time Ronnie takes a stance regarding how top players should be treated (and paid). When he withdrew from the China Open in 2005 it was common knowledge that the real reason behind it was that the top players wanted appearance money for that tournament - as is the case in other sports - and it was refused. So Ronnie refused to go. At the time Hendry very much supported Ronnie's views but he couldn't afford to lose the ranking points.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2005/ma ... avidhendon excerpt
Ronnie O'Sullivan's decision not to compete in the China Open has drawn criticism from many quarters but the absent world champion yesterday found an ally in his arch rival Stephen Hendry.

After completing a routine 5-1 victory over Robert Milkins at the Haidian Stadium Hendry said he would not have played in the tournament if he had the huge lead O'Sullivan enjoys at the top of the ranking list. The seven-times world champion suggested the sport's leading players should be paid appearance money to compensate for falling prize funds.

Hendry said: "I spoke to Ronnie two months ago and he told me he wasn't coming. I've got sympathy for him. I'm not happy myself. The top players should be rewarded for coming out here because without us the event wouldn't be on.

"Ronnie's fortunate in that he's a long way ahead in the rankings. If I was in his position I wouldn't have come either."

O'Sullivan's given reason for not playing was illness but he has previously complained about the low prize money on offer and said he wanted financial incentives to make the trip. The first prize in the £200,000 event is £30,000, £5,000 less than Hendry received for winning the inaugural ranking tournament in China 15 years ago.

Having said that the controversy approach may not be the best one and I didn't like it ... but I doubt any of his fellow players will complain if the bonus is "reinstantiated" ;)

Postby randam05

Jan is the man..love him.

All this proves what I said in a thread a while back about removing the 147 being ridiculous! It is PATHETIC. Couldnt agree with ronnie more on what he did and said after about hearn making a bad move.

I said exactly that players will not be determined and ronnie wont try for them no more and I cant think of anything to prove my point more really. lol

Anyway it was a 147..some people get silly over snooker rules just let it be a 147 for christs sake.

Im not the biggest fan of ronnie but he has certainly done so much for the game over the years..it wouldnt have half the viewers it has now I dont think.

Postby Casey

Well that's the third max this season. Maybe the sponsor's should do something....

Postby Rocket_ron

case_master wrote:Well that's the third max this season. Maybe the sponsor's should do something....

agreed <cool>

Postby Casey

randam05 wrote:Jan is the man..love him.

All this proves what I said in a thread a while back about removing the 147 being ridiculous! It is PATHETIC. Couldnt agree with ronnie more on what he did and said after about hearn making a bad move.

I said exactly that players will not be determined and ronnie wont try for them no more and I cant think of anything to prove my point more really. lol

Anyway it was a 147..some people get silly over snooker rules just let it be a 147 for christs sake.

Im not the biggest fan of ronnie but he has certainly done so much for the game over the years..it wouldnt have half the viewers it has now I dont think.

So where do you find 20k for the high break prize?

Postby Roland

My opinion - great theater. To cause a fuss after being only on 8 may have seemed arrogant. But he then went on to do the business with the extra pressure of knowing how silly he'd look if he didn't make a good effort at it, especially if he'd lost the frame from it. He's a mad genius and for me it's one his career highlights.

Imagine if he'd just got the 147 without the fuss - how many would remember it in 10 years time? Now when he's no longer with us people will be saying "Ronnie O'Sullivan once stopped after the first red and black, waited around to find out if there was a prize and when was told no he cleared up to pink with a 140, shook his opponents hand and nearly walked off before slamming the black in for the max."

It is the stuff of legend.

Postby Rocket_ron

Sonny wrote:My opinion - great theater. To cause a fuss after being only on 8 may have seemed arrogant. But he then went on to do the business with the extra pressure of knowing how silly he'd look if he didn't make a good effort at it, especially if he'd lost the frame from it. He's a mad genius and for me it's one his career highlights.

Imagine if he'd just got the 147 without the fuss - how many would remember it in 10 years time? Now when he's no longer with us people will be saying "Ronnie O'Sullivan once stopped after the first red and black, waited around to find out if there was a prize and when was told no he cleared up to pink with a 140, shook his opponents hand and nearly walked off before slamming the black in for the max."

im excited with your summery

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:My opinion - great theater. To cause a fuss after being only on 8 may have seemed arrogant. But he then went on to do the business with the extra pressure of knowing how silly he'd look if he didn't make a good effort at it, especially if he'd lost the frame from it. He's a mad genius and for me it's one his career highlights.

the theatre in the arena great brilliant the damp squib on the way out was pathetic he has got the karistma of a wet fish in interviews.

Postby Tubberlad

Right then, just watched this.

His antics are wierd, certainly, but that's the nature of O'Sullivan. It was unfair on the fans, but I'm going to say it like I see it: that break was another class. Ronnie O'Sullivan is another class.

Postby Smart

rocket_ron wrote:

Sonny - nicely summed up there. I was really excited by the whole thing, like you say stuff of legend. <cool>

Postby gallantrabbit

No problem with the theater of asking about prize money but to think of depriving fans of watching a 147 is pathetic.

Postby randam05

StalinESQ wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:

Sonny - nicely summed up there. I was really excited by the whole thing, like you say stuff of legend. <cool>

Yup couldnt agree more with you stallin and sonny,

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:No problem with the theater of asking about prize money but to think of depriving fans of watching a 147 is pathetic.

gallant

to be honest the crowd wouldn't have felt deprived with the 140 mate

Postby Roland

I think the person most snake hissed off would have been Hendry. A 140 and no attempt on the black would've done more to spur Hendry on to his 10th than a 147 don't you think wild?

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I think the person most snake hissed off would have been Hendry. A 140 and no attempt on the black would've done more to spur Hendry on to his 10th than a 147 don't you think wild?

i think Hendry is passed that now.

He is struggling reaching 100 ,80,70 even 60.

but i remember Stephen winning his last tournament in 2005 after being inspired by a Ronnie 147.

Postby GJ

to be honest i would say this if any other player behaved like ronnie did

he got on like a big baby when he waa going to leave the black

grow up ronnie

a 147 is good yes but it isnt worth a big prize because winning a tournament takes alot more than 1 excellent break in 1 frame

Postby Tubberlad

I thought it was distasteful, certainly. That said, he's a different class when he's like that, and it was a stunning break,

Postby Witz78

im there on Thursday and already i think that Ronnie is going to get boooooed into the arena. The fall out from the 147 shenanigans plus the fact its super popular Jimmy hes playing makes me think this could be the game when Ronnie falls out of favour with the public.

Part of me thinks hed be happy to become disliked anyway, as itd be extra motivation to him to win to silence a crowd who didnt like him.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:im there on Thursday and already i think that Ronnie is going to get boooooed into the arena. The fall out from the 147 shenanigans plus the fact its super popular Jimmy hes playing makes me think this could be the game when Ronnie falls out of favour with the public.

Part of me thinks hed be happy to become disliked anyway, as itd be extra motivation to him to win to silence a crowd who didnt like him.

snooker needs it bad boys i don't think its necessary bad what he did......

personally i think it was a protest against the fact there was no cash for a 147 he did know and never has it bothered him before.

Postby SnookerFan

The Cueist wrote:

Ron has a lot to thank Jan for on this ocassion.Well done Jan,It is for the greater good. :D <ok>

Yeah, and the thanked him by coming out in public and saying Jan had guilted him into it. :roll:

Postby SnookerFan

StalinESQ wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:

I missed it, for having to leave the pub early . <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:No problem with the theater of asking about prize money but to think of depriving fans of watching a 147 is pathetic.

gallant

to be honest the crowd wouldn't have felt deprived with the 140 mate

I would. I've witnessed two 147s live, and despite one being at an exhibition, it still meant a lot. Maybe more then the first.

I disagree though with the comments of his fans turning against hi,. He may get booed against Jimmy. That happened even at Wembley one year. But as for the fans turning against him? Not for considering not potting the black.