Topic locked

Re: World Open Qualifying Discussion !!!!!!

Postby Smart

wildJONESEYE wrote:Darren Morgan is by a country mile the best senior not on tour.

in this championship you got Doherty fave with Jimmy and Steve joint second fave and if Darren was playing he would be 4th fave ahead of John Parrott.

are you saying that just because he is Welsh......................... :shake:

Postby Witz78

StalinESQ wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:Darren Morgan is by a country mile the best senior not on tour.

in this championship you got Doherty fave with Jimmy and Steve joint second fave and if Darren was playing he would be 4th fave ahead of John Parrott.

are you saying that just because he is Welsh......................... :shake:

Nah Morgans the real deal among the senior amateurs, When the likes of Drago, Wattana can return to tour and do half decent, then theres gotta be hope for Dazza that he could return to the main tour and do something. As it is, i dont think hes personally interested in going pro again.

But when you look at the list of 40 somethings still on the tour, players like Lines, Michie, Harold etc who never reached the heights of Morgan.

Postby Roland

Lines was the name I heard over and over again when I was playing local leagues in Yorkshire. I'm pleased for him that he's starting to make a name for himself. If he can do what he's done in the last year, imagine what he could've done in his peak years. There are so many players who end up not trying the professional route because the money's not good enough. And that's why Hearn is such a breath of fresh air because a closed shop is not the way to be.

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:Lines was the name I heard over and over again when I was playing local leagues in Yorkshire. I'm pleased for him that he's starting to make a name for himself. If he can do what he's done in the last year, imagine what he could've done in his peak years. There are so many players who end up not trying the professional route because the money's not good enough. And that's why Hearn is such a breath of fresh air because a closed shop is not the way to be.

I think thats why I quite like MC Davis having a bit of limelight ......and his comments about the rankings. He has been around for donkeys years, and suddenly the results start going for him. I think it is a very very fine line at that level between making it and not making it.

<ok>

MC Davis and Gouldy - 2 lesser lights I am watching closely this season.

Postby Roland

Davis is obviously hitting his prime. I admit I was surprised to see him win the 6 reds thing in Ireland last December but since then he's been one of the form horses.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Lines was the name I heard over and over again when I was playing local leagues in Yorkshire. I'm pleased for him that he's starting to make a name for himself. If he can do what he's done in the last year, imagine what he could've done in his peak years. There are so many players who end up not trying the professional route because the money's not good enough. And that's why Hearn is such a breath of fresh air because a closed shop is not the way to be.

theres others that got disillusioned after 2 or 3 years and packed it in.

but what i like about hearn is he has given players the PTC in a very short time not committed anyone to play in them and virtually said theres money for you play or sit at home on your ass the decision is yours.

Postby Wildey

rocket_ron wrote:you used to hate hearn

yes ill tell you why.

i felt he let snooker down and let morons run it while he went off playing at other things boxing , footy, fishing, golf, darts etc there was a chance hearn could have been chairman years ago but instead of fighting for snooker he virtually disapered.

then he got this reputation of being a elitist but just look how many chances hes given to grass root snooker which filters top class snooker back to the people....as sonny said its a breath of fresh air what hes done i just wished this was done late 80s to early 90s and not going through the motions thats been happening.

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:Davis is obviously hitting his prime. I admit I was surprised to see him win the 6 reds thing in Ireland last December but since then he's been one of the form horses.

Just got an awful flashback from watching Day vs MCD at the crucible................ I backed Day and he crumbled with an awful miscue on a blue to middle........horrific stuff. <ok>

Postby Roland

And also my Masters form which nicely didn't translate in the Worlds when I actually put money on my predictions

Wildcard Round - Best of 11 Frames
Mark Williams WAL vs. Rory McLeod ENG predict 6-3 actual 6-3
Mark King ENG vs. Jimmy White ENG predict 6-4 actual 6-1

First Round - Best of 11 Frames
Top Half
Ronnie O'Sullivan ENG (1) vs. Neil Robertson AUS predict 6-4 actual 6-4
Marco Fu CHN (8) vs. Peter Ebdon ENG predict 3-6 actual 2-6
Ali Carter ENG (5) vs. Mark Williams WAL predict 4-6 actual 3-6
Shaun Murphy ENG (4) vs. Stephen Hendry SCO predict 6-4 actual 6-4

Bottom Half
Stephen Maguire SCO (3) vs. Mark King ENG predict 6-1 actual 6-3
Ryan Day WAL (6) vs. Joe Perry ENG predict 6-4 actual 6-0
Mark Selby ENG (7) vs. Ding Junhui CHN predict 6-4 actual 6-1
John Higgins SCO (2) vs. Mark Allen NI predict 6-4 actual 3-6

Predcition for Finalist Top Half: O'Sullivan
Bottom Half: Selby

Quarter-finals
Ronnie O'Sullivan (1) ENG v Peter Ebdon ENG predict 6-2 actual 6-3
Mark Williams WAL v Shaun Murphy (4) ENG predict 6-4 actual 6-4
Stephen Maguire (3) SCO v Ryan Day (6) WAL predict 6-5 actual 6-1
Mark Selby (7) ENG v Mark Allen NI predict 6-2 actual 6-5

Semi-finals
Ronnie O'Sullivan (1) ENG v Mark Williams WAL predict 5-6 actual 6-5
Stephen Maguire (3) SCO v Mark Selby (7) ENG predict 3-6 actual 3-6

Final
Ronnie O'Sullivan (1) ENG v Mark Selby (7) ENG predict 9-10 actual 9-10

Postby Casey

StalinESQ wrote:Masters is a lottery, real prediction greatness is only proved in Sheffield, where I might remind you.............

.................I am a past winner. <ok> :wave:

Good company Sir :ahh:

Postby Wildey

Saturday 21st August

10am

Jamie Jones v Tony Knowles
Matt Williams v Paul Davison
John Whitty v Thanawat Tirapaipongboon
Noppon Saengkham v Luca Brecel
Igor Figueiredo v Liu Chuang
Liam Highfield v Michael White

12pm

Justin Astley v Michael Wasley
Chris Norbury v Richard Beckham
Adam Wicheard v James McBain
Daniel Wells v Jamie O'Neill
Jak Jones v Joe Jogia
Patrick Wallace v Kurt Maflin

4pm

Jack Lisowski v Ryan Causton
Xiao Guodong v James Loft
Thepchaia Un-Nooh v Reanne Evans
Julian Logue v Joel Walker
Mike Finn v Kyren Wilson
Hubib Subha v Darren Morgan

6pm

Mitchell Mann v Ben Woollaston
Andrew Pagett v Kuldesh Johal
Anish Gokool v Sam Harvey
Patrick Einsle v Dermot McGLinchey
Issara Kachaiwong v James McGouran
Sam Baird v Anda Zhang

Postby Wildey

yes thats definitly one to look out for but theres others aswell i think its a interesting first day of mix between pro and amataurs

Postby vinot

Zhang is a favourite of mine too, but I think this first round has several interesting matches.

These three in particular:
Noppon Saengkham v Luca Brecel

And one should not forget Reannes trial in getting her first win, playing Thailands Thepchaia Un-Nooh

This will be a really interesting tournament.

Postby Wildey

whats interesting about this tournament is where 2 main tour pros meet first round and 2 amateurs meet first round

Julian Logue v Joel Walker
Hubib Subha v Darren Morgan

Amateurs will be through to Round 2 where main tour players are definitely out Round 1.

Postby Wildey

Jamie Jones 3-0 Tony Knowles (Knowles docked first frame, late at table)

that has to be one of the most idiotic things ive seen

how many chances like this tony going to get and he throws a frame away <doh>

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Knowles lost 3-0 and was docked the first frame for being late :redneck:

Luca Brecel lost as well

yes Luca finding it Harder than may people thought he would witz even ear marked him for a top 24 in the PTC his time will come but at the moment hes just finding his feet.

Postby Wildey

John Whitty 0-3 Thanawat Tirapaipongboon
Noppon Saengkham 3-1 Luca Brecel

Igor Figueiredo 2-2 Liu Chuang

Chaung came back from 2-0 to 2-2