Topic locked

Re: World Open Qualifying Discussion !!!!!!

Postby Roland

They would have salvaged the Grand Prix if it was possible. They had to come up with something different and eye catching in order that the BBC would air it. I think we've all got to watch it and see how it pans out, and then give our verdicts and strong opinions after the final. It deserves to be given a chance. And despite wild's stance on shorter formats, he'll be watching intently so it won't turn off the die hards.

Postby randam05

I did not know this was the situation, fair enough and yes I will give a second opinion after the event as I am prejudging what could be a fantastic thing here.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:They would have salvaged the Grand Prix if it was possible. They had to come up with something different and eye catching in order that the BBC would air it. I think we've all got to watch it and see how it pans out, and then give our verdicts and strong opinions after the final. It deserves to be given a chance. And despite wild's stance on shorter formats, he'll be watching intently so it won't turn off the die hards.

As so will Wild lol! He will watch ... hiding behind his hands and saying " I don't want to watch this intercourse something ... " but he will watch!

Postby Wildey

never said i wouldn't watch it lol

but don't kid ourselves they got everything in this event right because they haven't.

the amateur involvement tick

Random Draw tick

best of 5s iffy id have played on 2 tables get all 64 players involved but play similar to tennis where you got to win by 2 clear frames up to 5-4.............3-0,3-1,4-2,5-3 or 5-4

Ranking Points completely cockerel eyed

Postby Smart

to say luck will not have an impact in this is very silly indeed...................

in a longer format match there is more time for the luck to run even between the 2 players, in best of 9 there is less chance for this, in best of 5 - complete lottery........... hence my hit and giggle comment.

The plus side is the one table, lots of matches, on and off.............. thats good.

We all know a close frame can be turned by a decent bit of running of the balls, so translate this piece of luck into the match situation and it is highly likely that the eventual winner or the successful players are those with the luck in Glasgow rather than actually the best players winning - which is ultimately what I want to see at each tournament.

Anyway, all that remains is to say:

"May the luckiest player win " :wave:

Postby SnookerFan

randam05 wrote:I did not know this was the situation, fair enough and yes I will give a second opinion after the event as I am prejudging what could be a fantastic thing here.

But I still agree with a lot of what you said. Okay, they didn't get rid of the Grand Prix to spite fans, they did it due to pressure from the BBC. But I still think the World Open would've fit in better in say, November as a non-ranking event, with the Grand Prix in it's traditional format. That may not be possible, but we should mistake; "Barry Hearn doing this out of necessity" as the same thing as "We've all got to be happy that this is the way it has happened." If the Grand Prix made a come back next year, and the World Open was a November Non-Ranker then I think the majority of us would be :ba:

The best of five isn't necessarily my cup of tea either, to be honest. Which is part of the reason I think it should definately be non-ranking. And I think all the talk of it being "fast and furious" sounds a bit naff. Obviously somebody could come out a rack up three centuries, the match finishes 3-0 in less then an hour. I think this is Barry Hearn's preference, but it's not mine. That to me would be more "quick and inconsequential" rather then "fast and furious." It won't seperate the men from the boys, if one of the men doesn't get a chance at a break. Best of nines are alright? But in a final?

At least one of the following two things has to happen to make it more acceptable, in my eyes. One, no ranking points for this tournament. Two, make matches at least best of 9 all the way through, preferably with at least a best of 11 final as well.

Postby Wildey

yes but the World Open fills the Grand Prix contract this season.

for next season there is no contract to show it.. so if BBC Likes it they might negotiate a different time slot for it.

Postby Smart

wildJONESEYE wrote:yes but the World Open fills the Grand Prix contract this season.

for next season there is no contract to show it.. so if BBC Likes it they might negotiate a different time slot for it.

BBC might find the World Open was a bit long after this years competition and they may want a 5-red bollock-up next year :redneck:

Postby Wildey

StalinESQ wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:yes but the World Open fills the Grand Prix contract this season.

BBC might find the World Open was a bit long after this years competition and they may want a 5-red bollock-up next year :redneck:

they might show bullock up but it will be in a highlight package at 12.55 am :redneck:

Postby Wildey

UK Championship Preston Guild Hall
Grand Prix Hexagon Reading

since they been snake hissing about with venues both thoes events has been going down but the Grand Prix been sinking faster......Lets hope they take the UK Home soon <ok>

Postby The Cueist

Dont care much really,I am tempted to go as i have a few days off and i have relatives who live near to Glasgow who would kindly put me up. :D

I will have a think about it as Glasgow is 400 miles away and a 100 quid petrol there and back,I will book tickets tomorrow if i decide to go. <ok>

Postby Witz78

The Cueist wrote:Dont care much really,I am tempted to go as i have a few days off and i have relatives who live near to Glasgow who would kindly put me up. :D

I will have a think about it as Glasgow is 400 miles away and a 100 quid petrol there and back,I will book tickets tomorrow if i decide to go. <ok>

would u not just be as well to fly up to save a day each sides driving? Plane tickets prob work out cheaper too <ok>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
The Cueist wrote:Dont care much really,I am tempted to go as i have a few days off and i have relatives who live near to Glasgow who would kindly put me up. :D

would u not just be as well to fly up to save a day each sides driving? Plane tickets prob work out cheaper too <ok>

one year i went up to Edinburgh to celebrate the new year.

driving down from Edinburgh to my house should take about 6 hours in a car.

no joking it took me 12 hours to reach my front door from Edinburgh. never been up there since lol

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

no joking it took me 12 hours to reach my front door from Edinburgh. never been up there since lol

think you musta took a wrong turning Wild. Ive done Edinburgh to Manchester before in just under 3 hours

Postby Witz78

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

think you musta took a wrong turning Wild. Ive done Edinburgh to Manchester before in just under 3 hours

infact, take that back, we actually did Edinburgh to Manchester in bang on 2 hours now i remember correctly, hope theres no police on snooker island rofl

Postby The Cueist

StalinESQ wrote:
The Cueist wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:Cueist

Glasgow is the knife capital of Europe. Please go armed. <ok>

Thanks for your concern MrStalinESQ <ok>

But i will bring my Samurai sword just in case. ;)

Cueist

You are wiser than most, your samari sword will be just the job. :redneck:

I am wiser than Buddha himself and i have come to the conclusion that a large samurai sword will be cumbersome to carry around and conceal,So i have decided to take my Gordon Ramsay boning knife kit,Which is considerably smaller than the former.

Witz :D Hi mate and how are you>

Fly to Glasgow?Cant as i would pooh myself on ryan air,And you need to have a pound coin on you in case you need a life jacket. rofl rofl

Seriously mate i dont fly,So car and 10 hour nightmare trip and i have decided against and will consolidate all my live snooker viewing to the whole first week at Sheffeild,Where lets face it ,Is where it is really at when it comes to live snooker. <ok>

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:Will there be a prediction competition for world open , or as its just all luck is there no point :evilgrin:

there will be maybe if we ask paddy nicely he will do it ;)