Topic locked

World Open Draw

Postby Wildey

DRAW http://www.worldsnooker.com/site_files/ ... ds_1_3.pdf

Format of Play http://www.worldsnooker.com/world_open_ ... tm?tid=167

http://www.worldsnooker.com/shanghai10_ ... w_Showdown)-2439.htm?tid=168

Dott To Face Robertson In Glasgow Showdown

Scotland's Graeme Dott will play Australia's Neil Robertson in the first round of snooker's new World Open, which comes to Glasgow in September.

The random draw for the tournament pitched Pocket Dynamo Dott against Thunder From Down Under Robertson in a repeat of the Betfred.com World Snooker Championship final, which Robertson won 18-13 in May.

The World Open has been described as the 'FA Cup' of snooker and includes innovations such as quick-fire best-of-five frame matches, a random draw, and the chance for amateur players to enter the qualifiers and get all the way through to meet the sport's top stars. It runs from September 18 to 26 at the SECC.

And World Snooker is offering a fantastic HALF PRICE TICKET OFFER!! For as little as £5 you can see three matches, with the world's top players in action. DON'T MISS THIS INCREDIBLE OFFER!! BOOK NOW by calling 0844 395 4000 or visiting http://www.worldsnooker.com/tickets. For the half price offer quote 'celebrate snooker'.

The clash between Dott and Roberton will be the opening match of the tournament, at 2.30pm on Saturday, September 18.

Larkhall's Dott, the 2006 World Champion, said: "It will be strange to play Neil in the first round. It's a tough draw for both of us. It's good to be playing him in Scotland and I'm sure I will get a lot of support. The match is only the best of five frames so you can't really compare it to the World final.

"I've never done well in tournaments with short formats, for some reason they don't suit me. But I totally agree with having new formats for snooker and I understand what (World Snooker Chairman) Barry Hearn is doing, and I'll be trying my best to do well."

Dott suffered a sharp loss of form in 2008 and dropped out of the world's top 16, but has since bounced back to No 13. "It makes a massive difference being in the top 16 and not having to go through the qualifiers," he added. "Luckily I was only out for one season. But the rankings change during the season now, so I have to start winning matches otherwise I could drop out again."

Other than Dott v Robertson, ten more matches from the last 64 stage will be played at the SECC, including:

Ali Carter v qualifier (Sept 18, afternoon session)
Stephen Maguire v qualifier (Sept 18, afternoon session)
Steve Davis v Peter Ebdon (Sept 18, not before 7pm)
Stephen Hendry v qualifier (Sept 19, 2pm)
Ding Junhui v qualifier (Sept 19, afternoon session)
Mark Selby v Barry Hawkins (Sept 19, evening session)
Ronnie O'Sullivan v Mark King (Sept 20, 12.30pm)
(three more to be confirmed)

All other matches will be played in the qualifying stage at the World Snooker Academy in Sheffield from August 21-24, when top amateur players from around the UK and overseas will be battling against professionals for a place in the final stages.

The World Open receives equal funding and support from EventScotland and Glasgow City Marketing Bureau.

Re: Dott To Face Robertson In Glasgow Showdown

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:They would need to keep Mark Allen's match over to the televised stages!

persanally i think they are waiting on some interesting Qualifiers Reanne Evans,Luca Brecel etc before naming the other 3.

Re: World Open Draw

Postby Wildey

Draw now up on first post <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

StalinESQ wrote:Looking at the schedule of play..... I will take the Thursday and Friday afternoons off. The main action is over the weekend so that aspect is pretty cool. :ahh:

I got the whole week off. Plenty of beer will be brought that week. <ok>

I may need it for Steve Davis vs Peter Ebdon. We'll be there all day for that one. <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

StalinESQ wrote:I must say I do like the roll-on / roll-off format. Think they used the same at the Welsh Open was it............. just wish the match were best of 9. That surely has to be the minimum, otherwise I am feeling short changed. <ok>

Yeah. Totally agree.

The Welsh Open is an underrated event in my opinion, and was a great tournament to visit, and the roll on, roll off action made it. I tended to chose the table with the best looking matches on, and stay there. But the best of five tournament seems a little to, well, little. If you see what I mean.

Postby SnookerFan

World Snooker bigs it up;

Saturday September 18, 2.30pm
Neil Robertson
Reigning Betfred.com World Champion
v
Graeme Dott
Former World Champion from Larkhall

Saturday September 18, afternoon session
Ali Carter
Former Welsh Open champion and current World Number Four
v qualifier

Saturday September 18, afternoon session
Stephen Maguire
Former UK Champion From Glasgow
v qualifier

Saturday September 18, not before 7pm
Steve Davis
The Snooker Legend and Six-Times World Champion
v
Peter Ebdon
The 2002 World Champion

Sunday September 19, 2pm
Stephen Hendry
One of Scotland's Greatest Ever Sportmen, Seven-Times World Champion
v qualifier

Sunday September 19, afternoon session
Ding Junhui
Snooker's Star of the East, the Reigning UK Champion
v qualifier

Sunday September 19, evening session
Mark Selby
The Reigning Masters Champion
v
Barry Hawkins
The Former Grand Prix Semi-Finalist

Monday September 20, 12.30pm
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Snooker's Most Dazzling Talent, Three-Times World Champion
v
Mark King
Twice A Ranking Event Finalist

Loving their naff little intros. Is that their way of turning it into sexy snooker? <laugh>

Postby Wildey

yes thats OTT to say the least <doh>

Postby Noel

Barry Hawkins
The Former Grand Prix Semi-Finalist

Barry approved this?

=o|

Noel

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:I must say I do like the roll-on / roll-off format. Think they used the same at the Welsh Open was it............. just wish the match were best of 9. That surely has to be the minimum, otherwise I am feeling short changed. <ok>

Yeah. Totally agree.

The Welsh Open is an underrated event in my opinion, and was a great tournament to visit, and the roll on, roll off action made it. I tended to chose the table with the best looking matches on, and stay there. But the best of five tournament seems a little to, well, little. If you see what I mean.

S/fan - great minds mate. Was thinking the same when I wrote the comment above - the Welsh worked very well for a viewer and meant maximum value for those at the venue. <ok>

Postby Smart

Steve Davis
v
Peter Ebdon
The 2002 World Champion

Sunday September 19, 2pm
Stephen Hendry

Prefer Davis's over Hendo's .................................

I mean Scotland with its many great sportsmen......................... ummmmmmm shall we start a list and Hendo is just one of them.

Yet Steve is THE SNOOKER LEGEND. <ok>

I'm liking BHs influence more by the day <laugh>

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:Steve Davis
v
Peter Ebdon
The 2002 World Champion

Sunday September 19, 2pm
Stephen Hendry

I mean Scotland with its many great sportsmen......................... ummmmmmm shall we start a list and Hendo is just one of them.

Homoerotic :redneck:

Postby Witz78

StalinESQ wrote:Steve Davis
v
Peter Ebdon
The 2002 World Champion

Sunday September 19, 2pm
Stephen Hendry

As we all know im pretty much anti-Scottish but ill try and draft a list together of the many great rofl Scottish sportsmen over the years to justify Hendry (who i also despise) being only classed as one of many haha

Here goes, dont all laugh at once now......

Scottish sporting greats

Gavin Hastings
Jackie Stewart
Jim Clark
Andy Murray
Liz McColgan
Kenny Dalglish
Alex Ferguson
Mrs Doubtfire

eh i give up rofl

Postby Smart

Witz

I'll give you Dalglish ............................... but you have to wonder if those putting these billings up for each player are not snake hissing themselves with laughter ............................... <laugh>

Postby Smart

rocket_ron wrote:Andy Murray rofl rofl

had a bit of a discussion with my dad about this when Wimbledon was on................. stating that he is definitely Scottish and by no means British.

Exhibit A - wearing the Scottish wrist-bands at Wimbledon.

Exhibit B - his awful woeful display at Bejing Olympics.

I rest my case. A. Murray (SCOT). <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

StalinESQ wrote:S/fan - great minds mate. Was thinking the same when I wrote the comment above - the Welsh worked very well for a viewer and meant maximum value for those at the venue. <ok>

You get a deeper appreciation for a tournament once you have been there, and I think some of them work better on TV and some work better in the arena. If I didn't live in London, The Masters wouldn't be an event I'd go to. The arena they use now has no character to it, no chance to meet the players, and the seats are uncomfortable.

The Welsh Open, despite criticism, I thoroughly enjoyed and was upset when I couldn't go last year. Newport is a dump, one of the worst places I've been to. (And I live in Croydon, so that's saying something.) The venue was random, it was a swimming baths for goodness sake, but somehow it worked. I'd be all for a big-arse event in Cardiff too, but they should keep the Welsh Open or something similar in the Newport Centre there. It was a great visit in my eyes. <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

What do we think about all the tickets for the World Open now being half price? Are they having trouble selling them. They wouldn't making them half price if they are all selling out. Or is this a masterstroke of marketing by Hearn, who knew the venue hardly ever sold early for early stages?

Postby Wildey

the Biggest problem with this format is nobody knows whos playing when so they cant really make plans to go there until the draw is made for later rounds.

even with the early rounds Carter playing Brecel first Round would sell better than Carter v say Andy Lee so its a job to sell tickets weeks in advance.

Postby Casey

On the subject of tickets, does anybody know how the World championship tickets are working this year?

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:On the subject of tickets, does anybody know how the World championship tickets are working this year?

thats never out before january anyway lol

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
case_master wrote:On the subject of tickets, does anybody know how the World championship tickets are working this year?

start of December they always go on sale :no:

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

I have heard they are changing the system, no more booking forms :huh2:

Postby Witz78

case_master wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

I have heard they are changing the system, no more booking forms :huh2:

really, wonder what they are going to do, hope whatever they do it doesnt make it a free for all and a field day for the touts to get their hands on them.

And what about Front Row Brian ? :scared:

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

really, wonder what they are going to do, hope whatever they do it doesnt make it a free for all and a field day for the touts to get their hands on them.

And what about Front Row Brian ? :scared:

It could be like a concert booking, first come first served :? . I am assuming the tickets will go on sale before the last cut of point so we will only know Neil Robertson’s game fore sure.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

no wander i can never get tickets of my choice then <laugh>

Postby Witz78

case_master wrote:
It could be like a concert booking, first come first served :? . I am assuming the tickets will go on sale before the last cut of point so we will only know Neil Robertson’s game fore sure.

the normal system is a bit outdated ill admit but it does give the real fans the chance to get their tickets first before the general public release of tickets around February.

Theres something exciting too about printing off the ticket / schedule of play sheet off the WS site then pondering how long to go for, what matches to watch, what potential R2 matches will be, what sessions to skip in favour of nights out etc.