Topic locked

Huge Demand For World Open Spots

Postby Wildey

http://www.worldsnooker.com/PTC1_news(H ... Open_Spots)-2343.htm?tid=166

Over 500 players from across the UK have already entered the early qualifying rounds of the World Open.

It's snooker's equivalent of the FA Cup, with 20 winners from club competitions to go through to the professional qualifying rounds in August. They will then have the chance to get through to the televised stages in Glasgow in September, when the world's top players will be competing for the title.

Rileys has 10 places up for grabs and the knockouts will take place at Rileys clubs throughout the UK on the 10th and 11th of July with the winners going forward to regional finals on the 31st July and 1st August.

Maurice Kelly, CEO of Rileys, said: "We are delighted with the response so far. We have some very talented players in our clubs and the World Open offers a fantastic opportunity for ten Rileys qualifiers to play against the best."

The closing date for entries is the 4th of July and to enter simply go on-line at http://www.rileys.co.uk/worldopen

The other 10 regional qualifiers are run by independent clubs, for the full list click here http://www.worldsnooker.com/world_open_ ... tm?tid=167

The World Open receives equal funding and support from Event Scotland and Glasgow City Marketing Bureau.

Re: Huge Demand For World Open Spots

Postby Monique

Just shows how much good Barry Hearn's inclusive rather than exclusive attitude towards the amateurs is doing for the game.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Just shows how much good Barry Hearn's inclusive rather than exclusive attitude towards the amateurs is doing for the game.

yes

that was my worry at first with Barry but he has given the amataur game the opertunity it had not got before and i am big enough to accept i was wrong after reading his proposals some arent.

i also hope he will open up the World Championship draw for all comers next year instead of closing it up for everyone bar the likes of Tony Knowles,David Taylor and Les Dodd..

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Monique wrote:Just shows how much good Barry Hearn's inclusive rather than exclusive attitude towards the amateurs is doing for the game.

yes

that was my worry at first with Barry but he has given the amataur game the opertunity it had not got before and i am big enough to accept i was wrong after reading his proposals some arent.

i also hope he will open up the World Championship draw for all comers next year instead of closing it up for everyone bar the likes of Tony Knowles,David Taylor and Les Dodd..

I don't know. I mean, including amateurs for some tournaments is alright, and may give the tournaments unique identites. And also it'd be interesting to see the established players playing somebody a bit different. Also gives some young up and comers the chance for top line experience.

But, do we really need to change the World Championships? It's the one tournament fans seem to agree that there is very little wrong with... Do we really need to see amateurs play in all tournaments? I watch to see professionals, and the best in the world. Not some bloke from down the club.

Take the Wildcard rounds in the Shanghai Masters, China Open... It's good to see those young players getting opportunities to play top players. But a rare upset aside, they are the least interesting part of the tournament from a spectator standpoint, to be fair.

Postby Monique

I don't think Wild means having amateurs in the latter stages of the tournament unless, of course, they prove good enough for it. In the WC qualifs today there are preliminary rounds where people like Nick Barrow for instance can participate. They are not on the MT but they have kept thir pro status. IMO replacing that by a more open approach to good/young amateurs can only be good.

Postby Wildey

its not changing the World Championship its opening it up so that players that arent Professionals anymore can enter the pre qualifying instead of having Hasbeans that still got their card eligable to compete.

how stupid was it this year where competative PIOS Players like Michael White or Jack Lisowski could not enter but David Taylor could.

when Snooker was opened up in 1991 Everyone that could hold a cue could enter anyway.

Postby Roland

Everyone should be able to enter the World Championships as long as they can put in an entry fee then they should hold qualifiers all over the world. That's surely a pipe dream but I'm with wild. A few best of 9's with golden oldies from decades past does not constitute a fair qualification process.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:its not changing the World Championship its opening it up so that players that arent Professionals anymore can enter the pre qualifying instead of having Hasbeans that still got their card eligable to compete.

how stupid was it this year where competative PIOS Players like Michael White or Jack Lisowski could not enter but David Taylor could.

when Snooker was opened up in 1991 Everyone that could hold a cue could enter anyway.

Nothing wrong, I guess, with letting anybody who can hold a cue get in to try to qualify for qualifying as it were. Obviously, the chances are unlikely that they'll get to the televised stages anyway. Guess it gives people who want a professional career gain experience...

I just wonder if we can put too much emphasis on amateurs playing. Amateurs in the sense of people that aren't quite good enough to get on the main tour that would benefit from the experience, I am happy with. I just didn't want to see say Ronnie O'Sullivan playing a guy who first played snooker last week and got a wild card at a ranking event... But I guess that's an overexaggeration of what we're trying to achieve.

Postby Wildey

there was 4 places available to play main tour players in the first qual proper why not extend that to 8 and like you say play quals in China,Europe,England etc to find 8 Amataurs that play the likes of Rianne Evans in the first Qual Round Proper.

anyway this is going off the track of the World Open lol

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:its not changing the World Championship its opening it up so that players that arent Professionals anymore can enter the pre qualifying instead of having Hasbeans that still got their card eligable to compete.

Nothing wrong, I guess, with letting anybody who can hold a cue get in to try to qualify for qualifying as it were. Obviously, the chances are unlikely that they'll get to the televised stages anyway. Guess it gives people who want a professional career gain experience...

I just wonder if we can put too much emphasis on amateurs playing. Amateurs in the sense of people that aren't quite good enough to get on the main tour that would benefit from the experience, I am happy with. I just didn't want to see say Ronnie O'Sullivan playing a guy who first played snooker last week and got a wild card at a ranking event... But I guess that's an overexaggeration of what we're trying to achieve.

mate theres much more than 96 players thats good enough for the main tour but numbers mean you cant get 200 players in to 96 spots.

Postby Monique

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... -open.html
BIG TURNOUT FOR WORLD OPEN

I’m pleased to see the World Open qualifiers have already attracted more than 500 entrants from the UK.

In recent years, participation levels in Britain have fallen, even though snooker remains a popular television sport.

Snooker clubs are not just places to go to pot balls. They are social hubs.

The smoking ban in the UK certainly hit them hard with many now closed down. The general decline of the sport’s image has also had a negative effect.

The World Open is being touted as the FA Cup of snooker as it gives 20 players the chance to take part in the pro qualifying rounds in August, with a chance to battle through to the TV stages.

This development, along with the new Players Tour Championship, also open to amateurs, may well help to reignite interest in the amateur ranks.

Snooker, like the black pudding industry, relies on a steady supply of fresh blood.

There is much competitive snooker going on that is barely reported but it serves as a training ground for stars of the future.

The champions of tomorrow need to believe that all the effort is worthwhile. They also need to have stars they can look up to.

Ronnie O’Sullivan would accept he has not always been the perfect professional but his mentoring of Joel Walker through the Rileys Future Stars scheme gives that youngster an enviable insight into the game.

Ronnie, at his best, is an inspirational person to be around. He can help improve Joel’s game but also help build confidence, such an important commodity in any sport.

It is also another link between the pro and amateur games. For too long they have existed in isolation. The fact is, it’s one game and deserves recognition at all levels.

Usually at this time of the year there is nothing happening. This year there is a sense that snooker is beginning to get back on its feet with new ideas and – crucially – more playing opportunities for players wherever they are in their careers.

The World Open is a controversial addition to the tournament calendar but what it does do is open the door of top level snooker to hundreds of hopefuls and give them a peek of what is waiting inside if they ultimately make the grade.
Posted by Dave H at 1:37 PM

Postby Wildey

http://www.worldsnooker.com/news(Date_C ... _Qualifier)-2387.htm

Date Change For Leeds World Open Qualifier

The date of the World Open Qualifier at Northern Snooker Centre, Leeds, has been moved to Sunday 18th July to avoid a clash with the amateur qualifiers for PTC3 and PTC4. The club regrets any inconvenience this may cause.

Entry is £10 and players are asked to register in person by 11:00am for an 11:30am start. The eventual winner will have their £300 entrance fee for the World Open paid by the club.

The club also has a Pro-Am Competition on Saturday 17th July, also £10 entry and 11:30am start, best of five frames plus a plate competition, Main Tour Professionals give 14 start. All entry fees are paid out in prize money.

Further details can be found at http://www.northernsnookercentre.co.uk

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:Everyone should be able to enter the World Championships as long as they can put in an entry fee then they should hold qualifiers all over the world. That's surely a pipe dream but I'm with wild. A few best of 9's with golden oldies from decades past does not constitute a fair qualification process.

No. Best of nines are best suited for finals of a ranking tournament.... <laugh>

Sorry, that was immature, stupid and achieved nothing. I just couldn't resist.

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
Sonny wrote:Everyone should be able to enter the World Championships as long as they can put in an entry fee then they should hold qualifiers all over the world. That's surely a pipe dream but I'm with wild. A few best of 9's with golden oldies from decades past does not constitute a fair qualification process.

No. Best of nines are best suited for finals of a ranking tournament.... <laugh>

Sorry, that was immature, stupid and achieved nothing. I just couldn't resist.

no thats fine, I'm a big fan of immaturity <laugh> rofl <laugh> rofl

:shake: :sylvester: :wave: