Topic locked

Re: Hendry - PTC not for me!

Postby gallantrabbit

I take your point about Davis and yes it's surprising that Davis hasn't entered more. At least he doesn't come out and openly criticise them. Davis has played in qualifiers for years but I can't really see Hendry ever doing that. Horses for courses I guess.These guys should be going to Europe. It is the future of the game after all.

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:I take your point about Davis and yes it's surprising that Davis hasn't entered more. At least he doesn't come out and openly criticise them. Davis has played in qualifiers for years but I can't really see Hendry ever doing that. Horses for courses I guess.These guys should be going to Europe. It is the future of the game after all.

i wished he had taken the viewpoint to promote them for future players even if for him its a no go.

i just thinks he feels his career winding down and these will accelerate it and he is wearing his heart on his sleeve and lashing out.

Postby SnookerFan

I have difficulty forming an opinion on the PTC. I can see that it's good for match practice for the players, but other then that, what do we really know of what it's like?

Those of us lucky enough to have visited the ones in Europe might have some idea. The rest of us. :huh2: We are still talking about a non-televised, not allowing public in to watch tournament. Barry Hearn could be running tournaments in his living room, and adding ranking points for as good as that is to the fans.

So, I'd have difficulty looking at this and telling Hendry he is wrong. Because I haven't seen anything of it. I really, really, really think we need to get a move on to sort those issues out.

I do see the benefits of them playing more often. Other then that, how can we agree or disagree on an issue with the people that have played in them? They were the only ones there.

Postby Casey

Well to be fair he has entered 3 EPTC's and gave them a go, they obviously just are not for him :huh2:

Postby Monique

PTC/EPTC are absolutely great for young players entering the circuit. Lots of matches, relaxed atmosphere, traveling and financial/point reward, modest but valuable especially if you are low in the ranks.
Now for older players with families and children it's not so easy especially as they were quite compactly grouped at the start of the season this year. Alfie Burden was joking on FB yesterday about the possibility his wife would maybe still remember him after Prague...
Here is Hamilton's take http://www.worldsnooker.com/PTC10_news( ... 5FHamilton)-2829.htm?tid=192
He's very, very positive. However he also states it should be more spread over the season and aknowledges it's difficult for players with kids.

Now I'm not sure Hendry enters in that category of "family men" that much. It's more that his status has been protected for years, and he's struggling and the general atmosphere of those events probably don't suit him. No glamour, no television. Head down and play, one of the ten matches in progress. And he hasn't done well. I'm sure it's been a financial loss for him. Not that it really matters in his case but he won't see the point to travel and spend 2-3 days in rather humble venues for about nothing.

Postby Casey

In his pomp he didn’t get much time with his family, however over the last number of years with less tournaments and being knocked out earlier it good have done wonders for his family life. Obviously he has two children now and he has spoken a lot about practising different sports with Blain.
I’m not sure Hendry sees a whole lot of value in travelling away from his family for tournaments that he does not enjoy and provide little in terms of achievement for what he already has. He knows the consequence of this in terms of his ranking but he is at a stage in his career were I feel he is accepting it.

Postby Monique

Frankly Case I never got the feeling he is accepting it. It's all about winning for Hendry, always has been. I'm not sure he's come to terms with his current situation already or that he ever will.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:In his pomp he didn’t get much time with his family, however over the last number of years with less tournaments and being knocked out earlier it good have done wonders for his family life. Obviously he has two children now and he has spoken a lot about practising different sports with Blain.
I’m not sure Hendry sees a whole lot of value in travelling away from his family for tournaments that he does not enjoy and provide little in terms of achievement for what he already has. He knows the consequence of this in terms of his ranking but he is at a stage in his career were I feel he is accepting it.

YES

the Fact he stayed on at the World Open after Losing tells me there is a transition on the cards with him he will go one of 2 ways Drop Out of the Top 16 then fight for his place or Retire knowing what the future holds for him will never match the past and bow out at the top very similar to Terry Griffiths.

Postby gallantrabbit

We are still talking about a non-televised, not allowing public in to watch tournament. Barry Hearn could be running tournaments in his living room, and adding ranking points for as good as that is to the fans.

Two points here:
1. The Euro events ALL have space for audience.
2. For gawds sake have some patience. Remember Hearn is dragging the game up from it's knees. he is using Sheffield to SAVE money, seeing as other regimes have been irresponsible with it for years. It might take a while, it's not even a year since Hearn took over.

I still think half of Hendry's criticism stems from his loyalty to old man Doyle and son. He is ignoring the fact that Hearn has done 10 times what Doyle the younger has in 1/10 of the time.

Postby Casey

Yea he might also be miffed about being dropped from the PL given how long Davis and White got to play in it when then they were much further down the rankings.

I’m not saying it was the wrong decision to drop him, however he could certainly look at it like that.

Postby gallantrabbit

Yes Case, but I really think that is largely his fault. He has always sat on his throne and waited for the invitations. I mean he has to be a miserable so and so and an awful self marketeer to NOT be invited to the Power and PL. He's seven times world champ!!!

Postby Casey

I don’t think he is not marketable, in fact in terms of drawing a crowd I would say he is still one of the top 5 players. On average his matches would be more full than Murphy’s and Williams.

Also he has a massive deal in China, only Ronnie currently has a bigger deal in that market.

Postby gallantrabbit

of course he is marketable. 7 times wc!! But he doesn't do himself any favours in this area, especially since old man Doyle retired. So promoters now feel that they don't NEED him anymore.

Postby Wildey

in Terms of Drawing Card the one Match that even today would outsell any other Hendry v O'Sullivan.

thats missing from the PL This year so from marketable Ticket Selling perspective it was a mistake not having him in the league however from a possessional Sport perspective it was 100% the right decision to drop him..

Postby GJ

:zzz:

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Hendry v O'Sullivan :zzz:

but that is by far the box office dream match

Postby Tubberlad

Hendry & O'Sullivan never really had a real tangible rivalry, it's more from a historic persepctive than anything else. If there's any pairing I'd give top whack to see these days, it's got to be O'Sullivan & Selby... by a mile.

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:Hendry & O'Sullivan never really had a real tangible rivalry, it's more from a historic persepctive than anything else. If there's any pairing I'd give top whack to see these days, it's got to be O'Sullivan & Selby... by a mile.

got a long way to go to get near hendry and o'sullivan for the wider appeal of ticket sales but from a die hard perspective thats the closest at the moment with Robbo v Ronnie second.

Postby gallantrabbit

Not really - Hendry not up to it and O'sullivan mega up for it. Makes for a bit of a mis-match.
I'd like to see Hendry adopt Davis's approach. Can he really say he gets more buzz out of anything else? Non competitive golf? Doubt it.
IMO Hendry should go back to square one, adopt a percentage game, he can still breakbuild when his confidence up, and just see how far he can get. I can't believe that with a different approach he couldn't still at least challenge for rankers. if Dale, Carter, Perry etc can, he can. Otherwise what's the point in practising for hours only to get kicked out of the Prague PTC?

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:Cos at the moment he's going nowhere fast. Well actually he is, down.

does that matter ?

no it doesent there was always a air of anticipation when Davis played A Higgins when alex clearly had no hope.

people have grown up watching hendry play and they know how brilliant he was its stil in the air it could just kick in again same with Alex vs S Davis.

Postby gallantrabbit

Alex never played Davis when he had no hope. The last time was probably 1988 or so. In the late nineties early 2000s O'sullivan/Hendry was a huge draw, but now Hendry has to reinvent himself just to stay in the top 20 or so. I honestly don't understand the guy. His history is safe and he want to play snooker. So get competitive, bring the fear factor back. He is never going to be as consistent in the balls again, but how much experince does the man have?? So use it.
What is the point of practising 5 hours per day, travelling across Europe to play and lashing out at 30% balls when he has no confidence? None. So either stay at home or remember that you will not out pot the top 40 in the world anymore. Who knows winning the odd match might even make him smile..

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:I honestly don't understand the guy. His history is safe and he want to play snooker. So get competitive, bring the fear factor back. He is never going to be as consistent in the balls again, but how much experince does the man have?? So use it.
What is the point of practising 5 hours per day, travelling across Europe to play and lashing out at 30% balls when he has no confidence? None. So either stay at home or remember that you will not out pot the top 40 in the world anymore. Who knows winning the odd match might even make him smile..

i do agree with that <ok>

its sad like a past it model trying to outshine her daughter.

Postby gallantrabbit

Exactly Wild, so she either goes to the veterans market, (flatly refused invitation to the seniors event) or she comes to Brazil for a lot of nip and tucking, which could be translated onto the snooker table too :) What she doesn't do is sit there like a miserable mare, down everything bright and new that is going on and pray that her youthful beauty will somehow just reappear.
Hope you caught my analogy :santa: