Topic locked

Re: General PTC chat (what is it? etc)

Postby Wildey

yes id be sat down for 30 minutes while he wins 5-0 with a interval thrown in rofl

Postby Witz78

Im fully in agreement with these PTC events carrying 2,000 ranking points for the winner and with the prize money levels. The £50k an event is still decent kitty for a minor event and will form the backbone of the main tour. Players have moaned for years about a lack of snooker so any of them refusing to play in this are hypocrits. Playing snooker is their job after all and if they believe in their ability, they should look to win money at any event going.

The incentive to get in the top 24 after the 12 events and reach the lucrative televised finals stage will be immense and should ensure the big names attend most of these PTC events too as they wont want to miss out on this, plus failing to attend these, there rankings will suffer compared to those entering all events.

Postby Casey

Witz that’s all well and good but what about the young players who simply do not have enough money to pay the entry fee and costs for travel to the 8 events abroad.

If they get through to the last 32 they get £200 lol. Now for a new comer to reach the last 32 would be a big achievement. Much more than what the average journeyman does.

So my point is they will be under huge financial pressure to attend these event because of the lofty ranking points. Not really fair on them is it?

Postby Witz78

Id imagine there'll be a set up like at the Malta Opens and in China where the plaers will be looked after accomodation wise.

The European events are possibly going to be held over 3 days and as they in Europe they will be held in arenas similar to the WSOS events to help grow snooker. Income and local interest, possibly Eurosport too will bring in revenue.

To get through to the last 32 they will only have to win 2 games remember ( 128/2 = 64, 64/2 = 32) its not like the traditional qualifiers, plus with the shorter format they will probably be more relaxed and play with more confidence. The experience gained here will help them when it comes to the main ranking tournaments too.

Sponsors will be more keen to back lesser players now with snookers profile on the rise again, so lower ranked players will have backing to.

The PTC has to be a better option for the lower ranked pros and tour newcomers than the previous season when theyd a paltry 6 tournaments to enter with a lot of them earning nothing at all over the season. Now they will have at least 19 opportunties to earn money. The more tournaments the better surely.

Postby Roland

Two rounds to get to the last 32 before prize money is pretty much equivalent to the cut in a golf tournament so I think it's fair. Assuming more money is pumped into these events in future hopefully the starting point will be significantly more than £200 for reaching the last 32. But a cut off limit is fair. It ensures pressure which is where the most exciting snooker matches come from.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:Two rounds to get to the last 32 before prize money is pretty much equivalent to the cut in a golf tournament so I think it's fair. Assuming more money is pumped into these events in future hopefully the starting point will be significantly more than £200 for reaching the last 32. But a cut off limit is fair. It ensures pressure which is where the most exciting snooker matches come from.

Yes in golf and tennis the players are financially out of pocket when they start off with and have to earn money by right. If they cant earn a living, they clearly arent good enough.

If the prize money went to all players then Hearn would be rewarding mediocrity. Makes things more competitive and cut throat for all players and will make the PTC more of a spectacle.

In the normal ranking events, you only get cash when you reach the last 64 stage, so for the tour newcomers they have to win 2 matches to get to that stage and earn cash too.

Postby Wildey

to be fair players know the score if they cant afford it they wont go the governing body cant molly coddle these players put up or shut up i know its a tough line but it is a good life if you good at it.

why should they pay players who hasn't got the ambition to get better and just wants to get payed because it beats working shifts in tesco.

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:im against every invertational becoming rankings i think these type of events are great as they are ...

i think for the time being theres enough rankers in china lets take them somewhere else now.

well said wild sir

Postby Witz78

rocket_ron wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:im against every invertational becoming rankings i think these type of events are great as they are ...

i think for the time being theres enough rankers in china lets take them somewhere else now.

well said wild sir

Yeh they couldnt make INVITATIONAL rofl tournaments rankers as it would be unfair as only certain invited players would be taking part with the opportunity to get points others couldnt.

I agree to an extent about China. I do think Hearn will try to solve the mystery of why the 2 ranking tournaments held in China, where we hear about the 100million+ viewers, massive interest etc. yet the prize money for these events is about £250,000 each. I also think the tournaments would be seen as having greater prestige and importance to all players if the prize money was higher.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:

well said wild sir

Yeh they couldnt make INVITATIONAL rofl tournaments rankers as it would be unfair as only certain invited players would be taking part with the opportunity to get points others couldnt.

I agree to an extent about China. I do think Hearn will try to solve the mystery of why the 2 ranking tournaments held in China, where we hear about the 100million+ viewers, massive interest etc. yet the prize money for these events is about £250,000 each. I also think the tournaments would be seen as having greater prestige and importance to all players if the prize money was higher.

Rodney Walker had a healthy appetite someone got to pay for restaurants when hes in china rofl

Postby Casey

Well no way is their enough ranking tournaments in China. If the Wuxi classic is upgraded then obviously all main tour players will be invited.

Hearn is in negotiations as regards to doing this. As I said though its timing in the calendar would need to be changed.

Postby Wildey

how many ranking tournaments are there in europe ?

Australian is World Champion how about looking there ?

im not saying theres enough in china but theres enough compared to other countries lets explore other countries lets not focus purely on china the World is a big place.

Postby Casey

wildJONESEYE wrote:how many ranking tournaments are there in europe ?

Australian is World Champion how about looking there ?

im not saying theres enough in china but theres enough compared to other countries lets explore other countries lets not focus purely on china the World is a big place.

There are currently 5 in Europe for next season ;)

Australia would be great, I am sure Hearn is looking into it. I would imagine getting a broadcaster and high costs would be the main problems.

Postby Wildey

i meant mainland lol

Belgium (im sucking up to monique ;) )

how about Thailand,Dubai all the old haunting grounds also.

and how stupid of me IRELAND as well (sucking up to you <laugh> )

Postby Casey

'how about Thailand,Dubai all the old haunting grounds also'

Its the old haunting grounds that have been draining money out of snooker. That’s why Hearn put the skids on the Malta Cup coming back last season (Walker was doing the deal before he got kicked out)

Postby Wildey

the walker way was draining money lol

Thailand and dubai has never had a Ranking Tournament under Rodney Walker and the Irish Masters got the boot.

Postby Casey

The Irish Masters got the boot because RTE wanted to move its date, that didn’t happen then a season later they dumped it all together.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:The Irish Masters got the boot because RTE wanted to move its date, that didn’t happen then a season later they dumped it all together.

that what i meant Walker was not for turning.

i think hearn would have made some sort of deal that kept it.

but where as before the chairman had to ask people etc now Barry got more control to do decicions

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

case_master wrote:The Irish Masters got the boot because RTE wanted to move its date, that didn’t happen then a season later they dumped it all together.

I wonder if RTE would cover a Snooker event. They can be pretty lazy with their sports coverage unless it's a World Cup or Olympics. TG4 covered the NIT but while it's a far better channel they don't have the resources of RTE.

Postby Casey

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:

I wonder if RTE would cover a Snooker event. They can be pretty lazy with their sports coverage unless it's a World Cup or Olympics. TG4 covered the NIT but while it's a far better channel they don't have the resources of RTE.

TG4 is a good shout, the only thing is they don't have the financial clout of RTE, they wouldn't get as much money from sponsors either.

If anybody can revive an event over here it will be Barry Hearn.

Postby Roland

Frankfurt and Hamm in Germany will host 2 of the PTC events - source Hendon's Twitter

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Frankfurt and Hamm in Germany will host 2 of the PTC events - source Hendon's Twitter

just noticed all the PTC apart from the final will be played between end of june and 21st of november so the ranking points before christmas would be pilling on.

12 PTC
Shanghai Masters
World Open
UK Championship

Postby Roland

http://www.worldsnooker.com/news-157459.htm

You can download the entry pack at this location. There is one piece of misinformation so far aluded to in this topic - the losers of the last 64 and not the last 32 will collect £200 for their efforts. Maybe the misunderstanding came from the fact there will be 32 players who receive £200. Entry fee is £100 so in reality it's your money back plus £100

Postby Roland

In fact, may as well put the information up here:

Entry Fees: £100 per event.

Prize Money:

The breakdown is shown below:

NUMBER INDIVIDUAL PRIZE ROUND TOTAL
Winner 1 £10,000 £10,000
Runner-Up 1 £5,000 £5,000
Losing semi-finalist 2 £2,500 £5,000
Losing quarter-finalist 4 £1,500 £6,000
Last 16 8 £1,000 £8,000
Last 32 16 £600 £9,600
Last 64 32 £200 £6,400
Total prize fund £50,000

Round Structure/Seeding: Each event will consist of 128 players; up to 96 Main Tour players topped
up by the best amateurs from the PTC Order of Merit. If the number of amateur entries exceeds the
number of places available, then an amateur pre-qualifier will be played at the Academy prior to the
main PTC event (full details available after the respective closing date).

Seedings (64 seeds only per event):
Event 1 Main Tour players in order of Official World Ranking/One Year
Ranking/PIOS with remaining players at random
Event 2 onwards Up to 64 from PTC Order of Merit after Event 1 who enter then remaining
players at random
NB: For seeding purposes, in the event of more than one player being on equal positions the
required number of seeds will be selected at random.
In the event that 128 entries are not received, players will receive a bye into the next round.
Rankings

World Ranking Points: Main Tour players competing in the PTCs will receive world ranking points
from the Last 64 round in each PTC and all points earned count towards the Official World Ranking
List.

Last 64 Last 32 Last 16 QF SF R/U Winner
360 560 760 1000 1280 1600 2000

Order of Merit: A separate one year Order of Merit will be in operation for the PTC Series which is
calculated on PTC prize money won. All players will appear on the PTC Order of Merit. Players on
equal positions on the PTC Order of Merit will be ranked according to their best PTC performance
working backwards.

Players Tour Championship Final (17-20 March 2011): The top 24 players (members/non members)
on the final PTC Order of Merit who have played in a minimum 6 PTC events (3 x Europe; 3 x UK) will
qualify for the PTC Final. World Ranking Points will be awarded to Main Tour players from the L24
stage of this event.
Last 24 Last 16 QF SF R/U Winner
840 1140 1500 1920 2400 3000

Places that become available should any player not wish to participate for whatever reason will be
awarded to the next player on the PTC Order of Merit. Seeds 9-24 will play in Round 1, with the
winners playing the top 8 seeds in Round 2.

There is a total prize fund of £200,000 as follows:
NUMBER INDIVIDUAL PRIZE ROUND TOTAL
Winner 1 £60,000 £60,000
Runner-Up 1 £25,000 £25,000
Losing semi-finalist 2 £15,000 £30,000
Losing quarter-finalist 4 £7,500 £30,000
Last 16 8 £4,000 £32,000
Last 24 8 £2,500 £20,000
High Break 1 £3,000 £3,000
Total prize fund £200,000

Draw and Format: Each PTC draw will be conducted by World Snooker and posted on
worldsnooker.com by 5 pm on the Monday preceding each event. The amateur pre qualifier (if
required) will be available on worldsnooker.com by 5pm on the Wednesday following the closing date.
All matches will be the best of 7 frames.

Dress Code/Logos: Evening dress and waistcoat should be worn whilst playing, however, a bow tie is
optional. Logo policy to be determined by World Snooker as and when required.
Work Permits: World Snooker is a registered “Sponsor” with the UK Border Agency for the purpose of
processing work permit applications and is therefore able to apply for work permit certificates on behalf
of eligible players via the new points based system.

Season 2011/2012: The top 8 Main Tour players on the PTC Order of Merit, who have not qualified
from the Top 64 from the Official World Rankings list, will be awarded

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Best of 7 frames. How about that then? That's more than most of us were expecting.

what they best of 7s ?

for whatever reason i thought it would be best of 5s even best of 3s so best of 7 is not bad at all.

Postby Roland

You're not the only one who thought that. And the ranking points are nicely weighted to have significance in the overall world rankings too.

I just spotted this little beauty:

The top 24 players (members/non members)
on the final PTC Order of Merit who have played in a minimum 6 PTC events (3 x Europe; 3 x UK) will
qualify for the PTC Final

Nice :ahh:

Postby Wildey

so winning 5 events wont qualify you for the finals.

funny thing is ive read through that twice before and didn't see the best of 7s bit and even after you mentioned it i had to read it twice to see it <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Draw and Format: Each PTC draw will be conducted by World Snooker and posted on
worldsnooker.com by 5 pm on the Monday preceding each event.

for me putting up the draw etc and discussion threads on the PTC the first Draw will take place on june the 21st in 17 days time.

Postby Tubberlad

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:

TG4 is an excellent TV channel considering the funds they have. French Open, Wimbledon, Tour de France, good GAA coverage, and some genuinely interesting programming. I'm sure they would show some snooker again if they could. RTE are a bunch of flowerpots and it's hard to know with them. The Irish Masters was a great tournament as an invitational, and I'd like to see it back that way.