Topic locked

Re: General PTC chat (what is it? etc)

Postby bulletcue

Well after reading more about what is involved in the PTC then I admit I am very enthused about it. This could well be the shot in the arm the game has been crying out for. Exciting times ahead :excited:

Postby Roland

Welcome aboard bulletcue, glad you found the place alright! Yes we're all excited here too although one final question remains - where are these events to take place and who can go and watch. I read somewhere that all the UK events will be at the Academy in Sheffield with only family members allowed in. I guess for starters it's ok but surely the idea would be to move across the land and make a proper event out of it with paying members of the public allowed entry.

Postby Roland

Yes I'm sure the plan is to start small and build up so in a few years time each event will be in a different location much like the Premier League. Although you're always going to need a lot of tables. I hope he takes it to Cardiff International Arena because that place was class with the Hearn lead 9ball pool World Championships a few years back.

Postby Tubberlad

Welcome aboard Bullet <ok>
What I'm interested to see is which players come out on top and qualify for the finals. It's true shorter formats will give more random results, but I'm willing to bet that the stronger, more consistent players, will ultimately rise to the top.

Postby Wildey

in the championship league they play 24 best of 5 matches in 2 days ...average 12 matches a day on 2 tables 6 matches per table per day.

in the PTC they will play 127 best of 7 matches in 3 days ...average of about 43 matches a day on 8 tables roughly 6 matches per table per day.

Postby SnookerFan

case_master wrote:
Sonny wrote:They will have to put a cap on it somewhere because you don't want the likes of wild turning up looking for a game. I don't see why they can't give regional clubs the chance to play knockout events with a place at one of the events up for grabs. It will give the appearance of being open to all comers which will bring interest into the game from the youngsters if they think winning a few matches will give them a shot at the big boys.

Anyway, we need to see what the criteria are first before getting carried away, but there is clearly a lot you can do with these events.

<laugh> <laugh> Imaigne Wild being drawn against Ronnie :ahh:

Ronnie vs Seifer island hatah would also be intresting.

Postby gallantrabbit

PTC is fantastic. I remember playing pro-ams years back and the best way to get over a defeat is go back and collect another!! ie have another opportunity to play very soon. There's nothing worse than getting stuffed and not having the opportunity to put it right for 6 weeks. In those days you could play 4/5 comps a week easy and stil work fulltime. Oh the single life...
I haven't looked but I think Dave Hendon's blog sums up the significance of the PTC. If you haven't read it then do.
http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:Welcome aboard bulletcue, glad you found the place alright! Yes we're all excited here too although one final question remains - where are these events to take place and who can go and watch. I read somewhere that all the UK events will be at the Academy in Sheffield with only family members allowed in. I guess for starters it's ok but surely the idea would be to move across the land and make a proper event out of it with paying members of the public allowed entry.

Is that true? I was getting psyched about watching these events. I take it that these aren't on television then? :-(

I mean, seriously, what's the point of creating more snooker tournaments, only to tell people the only way to get to see it is to be a snooker player's WAG? <doh>

Postby SnookerFan

Ah, I see next March's stuff is televised;

http://www.global-snooker.com/global-sn ... 100521.asp

Pity, really. I was kind of hoping the whole lot would be on telly, or the very least we could have a day out in Sheffield watching it. Probably not worth the ticket and travel, but worth a consideration, at least...

Postby Roland

Did I read somewhere that only the best 6 results count towards to the PTC money / ranking list? If so that throws the whole thing into chaos. Every single event should count.

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:Did I read somewhere that only the best 6 results count towards to the PTC money / ranking list? If so that throws the whole thing into chaos. Every single event should count.

So only your best six count to you getting into the top 24? I assume though all your results count towards your main tour ranking and not just the best 6 results?

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:Did I read somewhere that only the best 6 results count towards to the PTC money / ranking list? If so that throws the whole thing into chaos. Every single event should count.

That's not how I understood it, but I have to check. What I'm certain of is that ranking points count for every event and that you must enter at least 6 of them to be eligible for the final. So a player winning 5 of 5 he enters might be high enough on the merit list but not eligible.

Postby Wildey

i agree with Monique entering 6 Sheffield events winning them being on £60,000 and hate going overseas will not be good enough for the finale.

Postby Roland

Travesty!

Well I hope it's Goffs if that's true. And judging by the percentage of Irish members here then the Emerald Isle certainly has a lot of fans of snooker and deserves a big event.