Topic locked

Should The Rules Be Relaxed on Ding Potential Participation in PTC Finals ?

YES
45%
NO
55%

Total votes : 11

PTC Rules

Postby Wildey

Should there be a special consideration Given to Ding Junhui regarding his eligibility to play in the PTC Finals next year.

Rules State Players must play in 3 out of 6 PTC (sheffield) and 3 out of 6 EPTC (Europe and Gloucester ;) )

But apparently he had visa problems and missed 4 PTC Sheffield leaving him out of the running for the finals.

but he is having a great run in the PTC Series since his return and he has shot in to the top 20 and would be 7th if he won today.

so should the rules be bent if he can prove his Visa Troubles was 100% Genuine ?

Re: PTC Rules

Postby GJ

my vote has been cast

Postby Tubberlad

Absolutely yes. I think the minimum requirement should be any of six events, and not three of one and three of another

Postby GJ

Ding is a good lad but rules are rules and if he gets dispensation then ronnie will be running in with a doctors note about his recent withdrawls in ptc events and try to get them to bend the rules if he fails to meet minimum requirements

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:Absolutely yes. I think the minimum requirement should be any of six events, and not three of one and three of another

no we want Ronnie Travelling to Europe lets face it that rule would be useless for that.

Postby Tubberlad

GJtheaussiestud wrote:Ding is a good lad but rules are rules and if he gets dispensation then ronnie will be running in with a doctors note about his recent withdrawls in ptc events and try to get them to bend the rules if he fails to meet minimum requirements

Maybe you have a point...

Postby Wildey

i think there was a case of playing 4 EPTC (Because theres people there) and only 2 PTC (2 man and a dog)

Postby Roland

If he couldn't get a visa and since then he shows willing by entering all events he can and gets inside the top 24, then yes he should be given special treatment.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:If he couldn't get a visa and since then he shows willing by entering all events he can and gets inside the top 24, then yes he should be given special treatment.

not keen on " willing by entering all events he can"

he has to enter ALL EVENTS if he cant well hes out.

Postby Bourne

If I could have voted MAYBE i would have, this is so hard because I think morally it is very harsh on Ding but then rules are rules, but I went for no because I think we need to see consistency in how the rules are interpreted even in extreme circumstances like these.

Postby Steve K

If we he wins PTC5 then they should definately have him in, maybe in a Wildcard round to be fair to the other top 24

Postby Bourne

A Wildcard round is a good idea actually

Postby GJ

Ding did choose to take a holiday rather than participate in the early events.

SO IT WASNT A VISA ISSUE AFTERALL

THATS FROM JANIE WATKINS

Postby Roland

If it's a holiday then no he's not eligable for the play offs

Postby Wildey

Dave H said...
Everyone knew what the rules were. Ding chose not to play in the requisite number of tournaments, therefore he shouldn't be in the grand finals.

I'd take the 'visa problems' excuse with a pinch of salt too.

Postby Bourne

Can't disagree with that at all, at least Ding hasn't been sulking about it though like he might have done in the past, he's chosen to knuckle down.

Postby Wildey

well Dave Hendon obviously thinks Ding or his People taking the snake hiss lol

Postby Bourne

Would seem a stupid thing to make up, maybe the problem was just exagerrated...

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Is there any reason why they differentiate between PTC events in Britain and the EPTC in mainland Europe? Unless the EPTC is being used to determine qualifiers for the German Masters then theres no need for it. If Ding ends up playing in six events then he deserves to qualify. He's hardly a Barneveld. I wouldn't let him in now in as it's too late to change the rules but it should have been sorted out earlier.

Postby Wildey

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Is there any reason why they differentiate between PTC events in Britain and the EPTC in mainland Europe? Unless the EPTC is being used to determine qualifiers for the German Masters then theres no need for it. If Ding ends up playing in six events then he deserves to qualify. He's hardly a Barneveld. I wouldn't let him in now in as it's too late to change the rules but it should have been sorted out earlier.

its simple

a player lives in sheffield he gets up on a friday morning goes in to the Academy To play Snooker he plays 6 events wins 1 of them qualifies for the finals without looking at a car never mind a motorway,airport etc.

Postby Witz78

Bourne wrote:Would seem a stupid thing to make up, maybe the problem was just exagerrated...

Its a good thing to make up as its a decent alibi to explain his absence from the first PTC events. Sounds like those in the know are not falling for it though.

Postby Bourne

He'd get found out though ...

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

I think the PTC is great for the players, I really do. I worry that the lesser ranked players won't get the exposure, but if they keep winning I suppose that will look after its self.

For those worried about the ranking points, it seems some things don't change. Years ago you'd win a couple of match's in the UK, get 100 points, wins a couple in the minor events, & get 300. <laugh>

As for Ding. His people know the score.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:He'd get found out though ...

only if its made a fuss of to be included in the Finals.

Ding not made fuss he dont want it to come out But like Witz said its a convenient excuse as long as nobody Check it out.

Postby Monique

If Ding has chosen to stay in China with his family, that's his choice and the rules should not be altered to accommodate him. I don't blame him for putting his family first, no more that I blame ROS for doing it. Quite the contrary in fact. But both know the rules and both chose to manage their career and their personal needs accordingly.
What's next? Will someone come up with an exception for Higgins, if he wins one, because he was banned and so couldn't compete in the fist ones?

Postby Eirebilly

I vote NO. Ding and his management team were well aware of the required documentation (or should have been) so i would not see this as a valid excuse. He, in the end, chose to stay with his family so fair dues to him but you cant have your cake and eat it. I do not and have never believed in bending rules, reviewing them at a later date for sure if there is confusion, but never bending them.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:If Ding has chosen to stay in China with his family, that's his choice and the rules should not be altered to accommodate him. I don't blame him for putting his family first, no more that I blame ROS for doing it. Quite the contrary in fact. But both know the rules and both chose to manage their career and their personal needs accordingly.
What's next? Will someone come up with an exception for Higgins, if he wins one, because he was banned and so couldn't compete in the fist ones?

Totally Agree with That ive never really minded players missing tournaments what i hate is people saying so and so not playing thats why x won a tournament .....thats not helpfull to the promotion of the sport ...

they all professionals so should get equal billing hardly their fault a player put family first or could not play in the tournament.

but regarding this subject there was a thought it was visa and not his decision but with opinions this week from people in the know to a extent Dave Hendon and Janie Watkins it does seem it was a personal Decision from him.