Topic locked

Re: Judd Trump - CHAMPION

Postby Wildey

When the likes of Higgins,Spencer,Reardon and even Fred Davis has played in tournaments they have history.

Postby Smart

rocket_ron wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:I'd go

World Championship
UK Championship

China Open
Shanghai Masters
Wales & Germany
Masters
World Open

PTC Finals
PTC & EPTC

Premier League /Shoot Out

Power Snooker

Im surpised you have the masters so far down

Ranking events mean a lot more to me, and I have found the Masters to be a bit over-rated. <ok>

World Open is lower down than Masters, cos of its format, same as PTC, PL is just a bastardisation ditto Shoot Out and Power Snooker not even on the radar..............might as well have BigBreak on that list if you are having PowerSnooker. :wave:

Postby Wildey

"pot as many bullocks as you can" <laugh>

Postby Casey

StalinESQ wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:I'd go

World Championship
UK Championship

China Open
Shanghai Masters
Wales & Germany
Masters
World Open

PTC Finals
PTC & EPTC

Premier League /Shoot Out

Power Snooker

Im surpised you have the masters so far down

Ranking events mean a lot more to me, and I have found the Masters to be a bit over-rated. <ok>

World Open is lower down than Masters, cos of its format, same as PTC, PL is just a bastardisation ditto Shoot Out and Power Snooker not even on the radar..............might as well have BigBreak on that list if you are having PowerSnooker. :wave:

<laugh> <laugh>

Postby Thompson Lykes

Judd Trump won a glorified pro-am. Not a major. For a start 'majors' are usually televised, and have real photographers present (going by the quality of the holiday snapshots I've seen). Good try for all the Trump fans, but he's still one of these players with 'potential' - and the chances are we might still be talking about his potential when he is 30

Postby GJ

Thompson Lykes wrote:Judd Trump won a glorified pro-am. Not a major. For a start 'majors' are usually televised, and have real photographers present (going by the quality of the holiday snapshots I've seen). Good try for all the Trump fans, but he's still one of these players with 'potential' - and the chances are we might still be talking about his potential when he is 30

excellent points i have to say

:)

Postby Rocket_ron

GJtheaussiestud wrote:
Thompson Lykes wrote:Judd Trump won a glorified pro-am. Not a major. For a start 'majors' are usually televised, and have real photographers present (going by the quality of the holiday snapshots I've seen). Good try for all the Trump fans, but he's still one of these players with 'potential' - and the chances are we might still be talking about his potential when he is 30

excellent points i have to say

:)

Pro-am <ok>

Postby Wildey

it isnt a Glorified Pro Am because it is a Pro Am...

there is Professionals and Amateurs Playing =PRO/AM

Nobody saying they are majors but jesus rubbish would it be better without the PTC ?????

players sitting on their baboons shiny behinds having to find a window cleaning round to make ends meat while fat rod and the teletubbies sat down twiddling each other off.

so much negativity yes its not perfect but its 10 times better than the rubbish we had for the last 10 years <ok>

Postby Wildey

Thompson Lykes wrote:are there ranking points for this tournament?

Yes Trump got 2,000 for his win and 4,800 points in total from the PTC that is more points than the shanghai masters semi finalist will get

Postby Wildey

Thompson Lykes wrote:So world ranking points are awarded. That's why I refered it as a glorified pro-am.

A pro-am without ranking points would just be pro-am.

no more accurate The Shanghai masters is a glorified PTC.

Postby randam05

.might as well have BigBreak on that list if you are having PowerSnooker. :wave:

Whats wrong with big break! and PL.. premier league is great snooker each week to keep us big snooker fans entertained while no ranking events are on, also the quality of snooker can be fantastic, last season I remember two matches where ronnie n selby got 3 centuries on the run and it was fantastic! It gives players oppertunities to earn a lot of money and week in week out match practice.

Postby Thompson Lykes

And if you see it like that you've identified what I see as the major flaw in Barry Hearn's thinking which to give every event ranking points. Every tournament has a value - so how do you put that message out to sponsors when someone who plays in a dark snooker hall often enough gets ranked higher than someone who could play in front of a TV audience of 100 million?

Postby Monique

You can't have a 100 million on tv if you don't have a good enough pro circuit and you don't have a good enough pro circuit if players don't get opportunities to play and make a living. PTC is aiming just at that and does the job with limited resources (there aren't much available). It's the first step to stop snooker spiralling down; not perfect by any means but doing the job. Ranking points are the necessary carrot as thé failure of the Pro Challenge last year has proven.

Postby Wildey

Thompson Lykes wrote:And if you see it like that you've identified what I see as the major flaw in Barry Hearn's thinking which to give every event ranking points. Every tournament has a value - so how do you put that message out to sponsors when someone who plays in a dark snooker hall often enough gets ranked higher than someone who could play in front of a TV audience of 100 million?

snooker is about 1 man against the table same rules in a cubicle or on TV now get out there work your socks off put in the practice and get out the rewards.

this is not happy hour this is hard graft the winners are those that work off their bullocks.

Postby Wildey

if Stephen Hendry or other top players doesn't like it Tough Tits i was getting fed up with Stephen rolling in to Sheffield after being rubbish elsewhere saving his career with a few wins there.

Its time he gets back down to it and starts to perform consistently or hes finished.

that how it should be at top level.

Postby Thompson Lykes

snooker in China had in excess of 100 million audience when snooker didn't have a good enough pro circuit. Correct? But top pros are already either sounding off (Mark Allen pointed out, he's earned a grand instead of five but your argument is that's okay because he is getting ranking points) or not bothering turning up.

I think snooker is being made to look cheap, to look underground almost. Just my thoughts.

Postby Noel

wildJONESEYE wrote:that how it should be at top level.

wild... do you think so far in the PTC, [ and yes it's only a beginning and Barry is doing his best and he promised we will all get to see Live Scoring maybe someday and maybe even web streaming or imagine.... TV! ] has represented this "top level" theory so far?

Do Trump, Pinches, Selby, Ford, Williams represent the best quality players in snooker today?

=o)

Noel

Postby Rocket_ron

Noel wrote:

wild... do you think so far in the PTC, [ and yes it's only a beginning and Barry is doing his best and he promised we will all get to see Live Scoring maybe someday and maybe even web streaming or imagine.... TV! ] has represented this "top level" theory so far?

Do Trump, Pinches, Selby, Ford, Williams represent the best quality players in snooker today?

=o)

Noel

Noel, Very good Question

Postby Wildey

Noel wrote:

=o)

Noel

it really is quite simple you win your the best. so yes if they won they deserved it.

Postby Monique

Thompson Lykes wrote:snooker in China had in excess of 100 million audience when snooker didn't have a good enough pro circuit. Correct? But top pros are already either sounding off (Mark Allen pointed out, he's earned a grand instead of five but your argument is that's okay because he is getting ranking points) or not bothering turning up.

I think snooker is being made to look cheap, to look underground almost. Just my thoughts.

How big is the population of China? Numbers have to be seen in context. Yes, Ding, Ronnie, Hendry have big star status over there and it wouldn't be for Barry Hearn promoting snooker there with Davis in the mid 80th so that the first ranking event there could be held in 1990.

As for Mark Allen's complaints...
- the tour hasn't lost any event, all those that were staged last season are still there (with GP altered to World Open) and there are 15 more events. Broadcasting hasn't decreased neither, on the contrary. So that's only MORE opportunities to play and earn money, or not?
- Mark knew the scores. This match was a last 64 match and, true, his wasn't held to the venue. That was because he was drawn against a low ranked player and it is a match he should have won, as I'm sure he knows. Robertson, Dott, King and ROS have much more to complain about: they have the "privilege" to play at the venue because they have the "privilege" to have been drawn against another top 16 player in the last 64 ... and two of them inevitably will go out, with the points and money of last 64 having faced an opposition they would normally only meet in last 16 the earliest.
- The sum quoted in the article has been challenged as inaccurate by Dave Hendon (on twitter). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Mark is a liar. Dave might be wrong although he is usually reliable, or the journalist might have got the info wrong ... it happens all the time (only this morning I read an article stating ROS and Jimmy have won 6 WC between them <doh> ). But whatwever this was only a last 64 match so you don't expect high price money.

I don't like the World Open - the format is too short and the random draw is too unfair especially considering the high number of ranking points at stake - but I understand this is an attempt at salvage BBC coverage for 4 snooker events and that is essential for sponsorship.
Last edited by Monique on 01 Sep 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

Selby, Dott, King and ROS

i think you meant Robertson :redneck:

but i agree with what you said ive known about this since April even the format was known for ever had Mark Allen been drawn against Ronnie he would have gone to Glasgow would he be happier then ?

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Selby, Dott, King and ROS

i think you meant Robertson :redneck:

but i agree with what you said ive known about this since April even the format was known for ever had Mark Allen been drawn against Ronnie he would have gone to Glasgow would he be happier then ?

Yes of course <doh> ...

Postby Casey

I think Mark has got a right to be angry in that Jimmy White is playing at the venue as is Steve Davis and Peter Ebdon.
All mediocre players the last couple of years so mark is right from that view.

Postby GJ

case_master wrote:I think Mark has got a right to be angry in that Jimmy White is playing at the venue as is Steve Davis and Peter Ebdon.
All mediocre players the last couple of years so mark is right from that view.

case is right top 16 is meant to be the elite mark deserves more respect

<ok>

Postby Monique

Ideally all top 16 players should have been at the venue, I agree, but if that wasn't possible then low profile matches, and this was one, are obviously first to be "demoted". Mark should have won this match and if he had he would have been at the venue.
BTW, the broadcaster, here BBC, has a big say in which matches are shown on television. I suppose they consider Davis and Jimmy to be bigger crowd pullers than Mark Allen, and I think they are right in that.

Postby Casey

Far bigger crowd pullers, however there was a promise to end mediocracy and some mediocre players got put through.

The masters wildcard this year will be very interesting!!