Topic locked

Re: The Paul Hunter Classic (EPTC 1) Discussion !!!!

Postby Witz78

thetubberlad wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:1. Pinches <ok>

And that reflects the weakness of this initiative? Maybe because Pinches didn't go moaning that Hearn isn't bad for journeymen players, went out and actually worked his way to safety? O'Sullivan, Williams, Maguire, Fu, all players who've been amongst the top ten are doing well, Trump is very talented and has done well, fair play to Pinches seeing as the top players are taking these quite seriously.

<ok>

i think some on here would be happier with the old tour set up under Walker.

Postby Tubberlad

I don't go along with your views of him following Alex Higgins, Jimmy White & Ronnie O'Sullivan, and I don't think he'll rack up a remarkable amount of rankers. But I think he's very good, talented, has potential to become a top four player.

Postby Rocket_ron

Witz78 wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:

And that reflects the weakness of this initiative? Maybe because Pinches didn't go moaning that Hearn isn't bad for journeymen players, went out and actually worked his way to safety? O'Sullivan, Williams, Maguire, Fu, all players who've been amongst the top ten are doing well, Trump is very talented and has done well, fair play to Pinches seeing as the top players are taking these quite seriously.

<ok>

No, not at all. just that these PTC's are overhyped. there nothing speciel.

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:

<ok>

What we have now is a hundred and one time better...

Postby Smart

thetubberlad wrote:I don't go along with your views of him following Alex Higgins, Jimmy White & Ronnie O'Sullivan, and I don't think he'll rack up a remarkable amount of rankers. But I think he's very good, talented, has potential to become a top four player.

witz - was that Peoples Champion comment tongue in cheek or tongue up bum cheek <laugh>

Postby randam05

GJ, i have to agree, the PTC series is a load of tosh.
its like the carling cup in football, best Players/teams play there B game as they are not really bothered, all this does its let inferior players (aka Pinches and Trump) to win

Cannot agree with this, however.. if i had not signed up to this website I would have known buck all about the ptc, all I would have seen is the articles they do on worldsnooker and the draw, but would have had little interest because of no coverage, which is probably how all the fans of snooker who are not on this site feel about the PTC. Hopefully it will grow over the coming seasons ie, tv coverage and audiences.

But I have enjoyed the PTC events so far mainly down to the forums about it on here.

Postby Wildey

rocket_ron wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:world snooker will be trumping Judd on their front page right now...................could be a full article, might even have a quote from the Bristolian................... this could snowball and be something MASSIVE..............today EPTC tomorrow .......

COME ON MAGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well its only a ETPC its not like its a big tourney. anyone can win a PTC look at pinches for example

so we should pencil your name in for 1 maybe 2 shall we <ok>

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:I think a lot of the comments (negative) would be less so or not at all if we, the fans, were in some way allowed in on this. It feels crap because it is totally non-inclusive. <ok>

Smart would you agree that the PTC is the carling cup of snooker?

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:world snooker will be trumping Judd on their front page right now...................could be a full article, might even have a quote from the Bristolian................... this could snowball and be something MASSIVE..............today EPTC tomorrow .......

COME ON MAGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well its only a ETPC its not like its a big tourney. anyone can win a PTC look at pinches for example

so we should pencil your name in for 1 maybe 2 shall we <ok>

Do what you want wild, you do anyway <laugh>

Postby Tubberlad

StalinESQ wrote:I think a lot of the comments (negative) would be less so or not at all if we, the fans, were in some way allowed in on this. It feels crap because it is totally non-inclusive. <ok>

You are perfectly entitled to your views on this, of course. And I can see where people are coming from. But I'm looking at this from a players perspective, this event was at least a step up in so much that there was an audience, and further improvement will be made. I'm like a broken record, Hearn is testing the water, perfecting this, and this time next year we should have coverage, and live scoring very soon. If we don't, I'll join your disgruntledness

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:
GJ, i have to agree, the PTC series is a load of tosh.
its like the carling cup in football, best Players/teams play there B game as they are not really bothered, all this does its let inferior players (aka Pinches and Trump) to win

Cannot agree with this, however.. if i had not signed up to this website I would have known buck all about the ptc, all I would have seen is the articles they do on worldsnooker and the draw, but would have had little interest because of no coverage, which is probably how all the fans of snooker who are not on this site feel about the PTC. Hopefully it will grow over the coming seasons ie, tv coverage and audiences.

But I have enjoyed the PTC events so far mainly down to the forums about it on here.

me 2 i wouldnt get so frustrated if they meant nothing these are very important for players confidence also not going in to ranking events thinking rubbish i have to win this match.

trump will go in against mags now relaxed knowing he has already bagged almost 5,000 ranking points from PTC and cemented his PTC Finals place.

Postby Smart

rocket_ron wrote:

Johnstone Paint Trophy <ok>

Postby Rocket_ron

thetubberlad wrote:

You are perfectly entitled to your views on this, of course. And I can see where people are coming from. But I'm looking at this from a players perspective, this event was at least a step up in so much that there was an audience, and further improvement will be made. I'm like a broken record, Hearn is testing the water, perfecting this, and this time next year we should have coverage, and live scoring very soon. If we don't, I'll join your disgruntledness

Tubbs, why are you bothering with viewing this from a players view? are you a player?? are you going to become a player??

i recommend viewing it from a fans point of view

Postby Witz78

thetubberlad wrote:I don't go along with your views of him following Alex Higgins, Jimmy White & Ronnie O'Sullivan, and I don't think he'll rack up a remarkable amount of rankers. But I think he's very good, talented, has potential to become a top four player.

the way i see it once the public and fans get to see him more often they will admire his style of play and warm to him.

Remember that in his early career no-one would have guessed shy little Jimmy would end up the Peoples Champion and likewise Ronnie would become so popular after some of his wild antics in his early career.

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:

Johnstone Paint Trophy <ok>

thats even less worthy <laugh>

Postby Wildey

witz Trump has not got the charisma to follow Alex Higgins .

but i agree jimmy white in the 80s looked like a little boy lost similar to trump and cope today.

Postby Tubberlad

rocket_ron wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:

Tubbs, why are you bothering with viewing this from a players view? are you a player?? are you going to become a player??

i recommend viewing it from a fans point of view

Who got you interested in this sport? Who plays this game? Who gets you talking about this game? Who were your heroes growing up?

They've been lying idle for too long, begging for playing opportunities, and now they have them. Meaningful events with reasonable prize money and ranking points considering the stature of the events.

Postby randam05

"I beat Shaun Murphy in the semis who had won this event for the last two years. That felt like the big match to me, but then I had to pick myself up again for the final and it wasn't easy. When I won the fifth frame to get to 3-2 I started believing again, though in the end I got lucky because I fluked two balls in the last frame."

So Trump got lucky to win it eh!? poor Hamilton, it always happens to the player I want to win, usually Bond, Swail and Hamilton. Ah well!

Postby Tubberlad

randam05 wrote:"I beat Shaun Murphy in the semis who had won this event for the last two years. That felt like the big match to me, but then I had to pick myself up again for the final and it wasn't easy. When I won the fifth frame to get to 3-2 I started believing again, though in the end I got lucky because I fluked two balls in the last frame."

So Trump got lucky to win it eh!? poor Hamilton, it always happens to the player I want to win, usually Bond, Swail and Hamilton. Ah well!

Flukes strike again :roll: this is really becoming a cancer destroying the soul and integrity of our sport.

Postby Witz78

StalinESQ wrote:

witz - was that Peoples Champion comment tongue in cheek or tongue up bum cheek <laugh>

it was neither, as laughable as it may seem as Wild agreed with me, no-one could have forseen Jimmy becoming Peoples Champion but he did, and in Trump i see similar attributes that were in Jimmy at a similar age so WATCH THIS SPACE.................. :john:

Postby randam05

Apparentley it evens itself out? shame it couldnt over such a short match. cough. cough.

And didnt realise he was on a 60 break, not enough coverage or scoring to tell me this. cough. cough.

Although no player 'deserves' luck unless they have been unlucky.

Postby Tubberlad

Random, I was just being VERY tongue in cheek... <laugh> you missed some very entertaining posts from a very controversial poster...

I understand your dislike of shorter formats, but to make an event like this work, best of 7 is getting the very most out of it. I prefer longer formats myself, but I feel the need for a series of these bread and butter tournaments, and best-of-7 is about right for them to work.

That said... I'd like to ranking points for the Worlds and UK increased significantly

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:Random, I was just being VERY tongue in cheek... <laugh> you missed some very entertaining posts from a very controversial poster...

I understand your dislike of shorter formats, but to make an event like this work, best of 7 is getting the very most out of it. I prefer longer formats myself, but I feel the need for a series of these bread and butter tournaments, and best-of-7 is about right for them to work.

That said... I'd like to ranking points for the Worlds and UK increased significantly

im not sure about that

Someone like Hendry who prefers longer matches could turn up at Sheffield and make up for rubbish PTC.

id like the PTC to mean something increasing points in the big majors might take away from that.

Postby randam05

Fair comment tubberland I understand, but lower ranked players like Hamilton will only do well in these sort of tournaments these days, so its a shame they have a short format where they can be unlucky, having said that the short format is probably the only reason these players do well as they get some luck in some of their results! so I guess its fine and I dont like to disagree with something that is new as its a start and I think these PTC events are a great addition and good start to the 'revamping' of snooker. But I do disagree with the world open as you have seen in my post under world open because it has replaced a longer format event. short format tournaments are great as extras nor replacements, so therefore I like the PTC events but not so much the world open although I will enjoy it um sure.

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:Fair comment tubberland I understand, but lower ranked players like Hamilton will only do well in these sort of tournaments these days, so its a shame they have a short format where they can be unlucky, having said that the short format is probably the only reason these players do well as they get some luck in some of their results! so I guess its fine and I dont like to disagree with something that is new as its a start and I think these PTC events are a great addition and good start to the 'revamping' of snooker. But I do disagree with the world open as you have seen in my post under world open because it has replaced a longer format event. short format tournaments are great as extras nor replacements, so therefore I like the PTC events but not so much the world open although I will enjoy it um sure.

they had to change the Grand Prix but they could have done more with the world open to make it different than just throw best of 5s.

a player goes 2-1 up the other needs a comeback to win :?

some of the best matches in ranking tournaments has been when a player comes back from 3-1 down at the interval to win....that will be missing at the world open.

Postby Tubberlad

randam05 wrote:Fair comment tubberland I understand, but lower ranked players like Hamilton will only do well in these sort of tournaments these days, so its a shame they have a short format where they can be unlucky, having said that the short format is probably the only reason these players do well as they get some luck in some of their results! so I guess its fine and I dont like to disagree with something that is new as its a start and I think these PTC events are a great addition and good start to the 'revamping' of snooker. But I do disagree with the world open as you have seen in my post under world open because it has replaced a longer format event. short format tournaments are great as extras nor replacements, so therefore I like the PTC events but not so much the world open although I will enjoy it um sure.

I get where you're coming from random, definitely. The thing with the Grand Prix though was it had become a very stale tournament. It's always been the poor relation of the four majors (I never considered it a major), and the BBC were threatening to drop it. You can hardly blame them, the 2009 Grand Prix was the worst ranking event I've watched outside of Bahrain (although admittedly 2008 was a cracker).

So you take the best aspect of the tournament, which was the open draw. Hearn has the UK Open in Darts, which serves as an FA Cup of the sport, and is HUGELY popular. It's a great model to follow, I suppose? Yeah, for me best of 5's is too long, but again, it's about as long as you can afford in a tournament like this.