Topic locked

Re: Players Tour Championship Event 4 Discusion!!!

Postby vinot

Wow. Ronnie loosing to Barry... This was just what I thought might happen, that's why I tucked in rather than followed (yes, pressing the repeat button is following nowadays... ;) ) the game, and just as my sixth sense about Ronnie told me, he lost. I seem to have a feeling about him loosing. I didnt feel him loosing to Selby, to Fu or Trump. But this final... Didn't like the feel of it. Perhaps I jinxed him? :john:

Well, a good run anyway and an impressive string of victories, the Selby-win especially important for the future tournaments to come. I wouldnt say a place in the final 24 is set and done, but a couple of more steady entries in the PTC:s and EPTC:s should provide it. Congrats to Barry too then, he IS set for the finals and although I dont see him as an especially interesting player to watch, he isn't on my hate-list either, so that's a plus.

Postby Monique

These 136(136)-0, 0-92(85), 59(58)conceded-52, 116(116)-0, 0-93(93), 92(92)-0, 67(55)-25
are the frames scores according to GSC. Ronnie first. So that's why I was confused. It appears as a frame he won. I suppose it's a mistake.
I don't think they will be bothered. Actually this is something Mark Williams often did when he played in qualifs when he felt he couldn't win from the position on the table. They know what they can and can't do.

Postby Monique

case_master wrote:I think GS have put up the frame score so Ronnie must have been 7 in front when he conceded. Away from cameras and a public it doesn’t matter though.

But that was my point: if Ronnie was in front why would he concede, unless Dom asked for it? If not so why would Dom not come at the table and try to win ( Dom could have refused the concession)? If scores are right, then it's highly probable Dom indicated that he was giving up and Ronnie then conceded to avoid wasting time. As there was no audience this is accepted.

Postby Casey

I don’t understand what you mean? If Dom had gave up on the frame how could he have been awarded it? Whilst 7 points up Ronnie has conceded as indicated by the score. I can only take it that what was left on the table was a certainly for Dom so Ronnie conceded the frame. There is no way Dominic would refuse the concession.

Postby Monique

case_master wrote:I don’t understand what you mean? If Dom had gave up on the frame how could he have been awarded it? Whilst 7 points up Ronnie has conceded as indicated by the score. I can only take it that what was left on the table was a certainly for Dom so Ronnie conceded the frame. There is no way Dominic would refuse the concession.

Sorry, I hadn't realised this is a frame Dom was awarded. Of course then your explanation must be the correct one. My bad.

Postby GJ

stevens and selty :ahh:

robbo WC peaks for the big tournaments :afro: and i always said he plays better in the big atmospheres and struggles it the cubicles and tournaments with lack of atmosphere

:)

Postby N_Castle07

GJtheaussiestud wrote:stevens and selty :ahh:

robbo WC peaks for the big tournaments :afro: and i always said he plays better in the big atmospheres and struggles it the cubicles and tournaments with lack of atmosphere

It would be tragic for the promotion of the PTC Final if the world champion doesn't make the top 24 after the 12 events.

Postby vinot

N_Castle07 wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:stevens and selty :ahh:

It would be tragic for the promotion of the PTC Final if the world champion doesn't make the top 24 after the 12 events.

I wouldn't say tragic... a bit of a shame perhaps... Overall I think we are gonna see a PTC-final with a couple of names not normally associated with the final stages of major events. And we are gonna miss a few names from the worlds top ten. Strong candidates on missing out so far: Higgins and Ding... Robertson, Murphy, Hendry, Allen, Carter and Day not doing great either. But in practice, all you need are two really good tournaments and your on. (And of course enough entries in the PTC:s and EPTC:s...)

Postby N_Castle07

vinot wrote:Hmm... started wondering: are Ding and Higgins screwed allready? Can anyone confirm this?

Yes mate both screwed, you need to enter at least 3 UK PTC's and 3 EPTC's so they both can't reach the final.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:Can’t believe after beating all the players he did, thrashing them in fact….he got beat by Barry <doh>

Anyway a bit of pressure off Ronnie now and he doesn’t need to do a whole lot to make the top 24

it just shows how tough Hendry had it in the 90s with players that ground out results like pinches they might not have been the flash breakbuilders but they were tough as nails.

Postby Roland

Haha wild.

Congratulations to Barry Pinches. He's obviously a player in form because he was top 4 in the PTC list before this latest event so fair play to him, it's obviously no fluke.

Postby Tubberlad

Will be interesting to see how Pinches goes in the mainstream ranking events. I'm disappointed Ronnie didn't take the win, but fair play to Pinches <ok> looks the form player, and benefitting greatly from the PTC

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:Will be interesting to see how Pinches goes in the mainstream ranking events. I'm disappointed Ronnie didn't take the win, but fair play to Pinches <ok> looks the form player, and benefitting greatly from the PTC

Barry Pinches lost 5-1 to Rod Lawlor in the 3rd qualifying Round of the shanghai masters.

Postby Steve K

So happy to see Pinches do well in these events, he caught my eye during the last Grand Prix when he beat Murphy in the first round (loved the waistcoat!). Also good to see people that have been suffering with form as of late do well and be in the end stages of tournaments again like; Dominic Dale, Maguire, Hawkins, Fu etc

Postby Casey

After having a look at the rankings Judd Trump is really benefiting from the PTC and change of system. At the end of last season he was 40 odd on the one year list, now he is 25 on the current rankings after PTC4 and a slight chance of making the top 16. Ken Doherty on the other hand is slipping up badly and is in danger of going outside the top 32.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:Global snooker have him down as 25, also Ken it as 31. Several differences in fact. Which it right? :huh2:

global has a ranking list without taking off the NI Trophy,Grand Prix and Shanghai Masters of 2008... the global and world snooker lists is as useless as a chocolate fireguard when it comes to actual ranking a player for the UK.

Pro Snooker Blog has taken off the points already which is relevant to how things stand this season.

Postby Casey

I see, well considering he is losing his GP points a drop of only 4 places isn’t bad. Also he has a winnable first round match against Maguire in Shanghai. Stephen will be favourite but there are certainly tougher first round draws about.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:I see, well considering he is losing his GP points a drop of only 4 places isn’t bad. Also he has a winnable first round match against Maguire in Shanghai. Stephen will be favourite but there are certainly tougher first round draws about.

every match is winnable for him hes that talented a player my question mark is on his mental toughness which i think its one of the weakest ive seen from a potential top player....

Postby Casey

Well he has been very consistent from the World Championship qualifier. He won a pro am beating the worlds best over the summer (yes only a pro am but still a sign of some form). Also he has been very consistent in the PTC, he also beat Ford to qualify for China.

I think he will make the QF’s of Shanghai which will be a big boost. The World open…well it’s a bit pointless trying to predict who will do well in this the first year of the format.

Postby Wildey

Trumps best hope of success is the World Open because its on who starts best in a match and if the draw favorable he could just avoid the big guns.

i just don't fancy his chances against top players in best of 9s upwards unless they well off range.

Postby vinot

wildJONESEYE wrote:
case_master wrote:I see, well considering he is losing his GP points a drop of only 4 places isn’t bad. Also he has a winnable first round match against Maguire in Shanghai. Stephen will be favourite but there are certainly tougher first round draws about.

every match is winnable for him hes that talented a player my question mark is on his mental toughness which i think its one of the weakest ive seen from a potential top player....

He's a young guy still... I dont think we should count him out. He's made it this far. He's not in the top 16, but honestly, what 20-year old is? Judd Trump is still the brightest English snooker star, so value him. On the remark of his mental toughness I have no idea. Perhaps he is a bit lackluster at times, but on the other hand: he beat Tom Ford to go to Shanghai, and Ford must have been in a decent form to go and win the next PTC just a couple of days later.