Topic locked

Re: Is the PTC a masterclass on Hearn's part?

Postby Wildey

ill be honest despite lack of fan friendly accessibility to the first 2 PTC ive got really in to them i saw The World Cup and Wimbledon as a unwelcome hindrance that got n the way of the PTC.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:ill be honest despite lack of fan friendly accessibility to the first 2 PTC ive got really in to them i saw The World Cup and Wimbledon as a unwelcome hindrance that got n the way of the PTC.

me too, with the PTC taking up 13 long weekends of the season, between that and things like the Championship League, Premier League to plug the gaps between the 7 main rankers and the Masters, theres hardly going to be a quiet week in the snooker calendar anymore.

Some people dont know a good thing when theyve got it. Bring back Walker <doh> rofl

Postby Wildey

i actually said buck wimbledon being played during the snooker season christ ive never got close to say that ever before.

Postby Wildey

Smart

ive got different level of snooker enjoyment obviously id like to see it but the summer is a long long time and id rather get something than nothing.

look at the calender theres nothing much else happening in July but in August theres

Shanghai Masters Qualifiers
August 2-5, 2010
World Snooker Academy, EIS - Sheffield

Star Xing Pai Players Tour Championship event three
August 6-8, 2010

Star Xing Pai Players Tour Championship event four
August 14-16, 2010

World Open Qualifiers
August 21-24, 2010
World Snooker Academy, Sheffield

Euro Players Tour Championship event one
August 27-29, 2010
Stadhalle, Furth, Germany

ok nothing televised but would it be better with just the Qualifying theres 17 days of Snooker being played in August

then in September 2 TV Tournaments
Shanghai Masters
September 6-12, 2010
Shanghai, China

World Open
September 18-26, 2010
SECC, Glasgow

then throughout November theres Snooker but PTC Snooker would it be better with Nothing ?

im now talking from a fans point of view....theres snooker being played there wasn't last season,season before that or season before that.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:They should move it just to suit your needs wild <ok>

lol you know what i mean having a Ranking Tournament of any description played during wimbledon is unheard of.

Postby Tubberlad

StalinESQ wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:Final warning lads: no more personal insults on either side <ok>

<laugh> sounds like a pub owner warning 2 snake hissed up youths <laugh>

Love it :D

Ironically, I'm the only youth of the three <laugh>

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:Final warning lads: no more personal insults on either side <ok>

im the senile old codger getting snake hissed in the corner of the pub <laugh>

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:

im the senile old codger getting snake hissed in the corner of the pub <laugh>

and having witnessed firsthand Stalins drunken antics i dont know what category hed come into :stir: :scared: :eek:

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:

lol you know what i mean having a Ranking Tournament of any description played during wimbledon is unheard of.

Well in fairness it wasn't exactly a distraction since none of it was televised so ... :huh2:

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

Well in fairness it wasn't exactly a distraction since none of it was televised so ... :huh2:

it was to me in a way finding out what joe jogia did in the ptc was as important as murray in wimbledon.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:That doesn't exactly take up much of your time though ...

omg i dont mean literally lol

and i dont mean wimbledon didnt matter

all i meant was i had snooker in june during wimbledon never ever happened before.

Postby paperbackwriter

SnookerFan wrote:Following the assumption that Barry Hearn truly does want snooker to grow into an international sport, then you've got to hope it'll grow, and become something bigger. If it doesn't then it'd just been pure stupidity. We have to see where Hearn goes with this, to be fair.

Calling it pure stupidity is going too far- even if it would turn out to be a flop after some time (I don't assume it will, of course). As Wild said, it's better than nothing, what harm can some playing opportunity and some money for the players do? Ask Williams or Selby if they have any complaints and in case it doesn't work out perfectly- if they think it shouldn't have been started.
And maybe in a while, we will be watching another PTC event and recalling the bizarre times when we couldn't even follow live scoring. Worth a try either way.

Though I admit it would be wise to incorporate live scoring or at least some really frequent, detailed account as quickly as possible, can't be that hard and would at least partially satisfy many fans.

About Robertson and Selby (I know it was originally discussed somewhere else, but it's been already mentioned here anyway)- I'd say that in some sense Selby is better, that is, more naturally talented. But I also think Robbo is smarter and more aware both when it comes to himself and his opponents. If I were to bet who'll achieve more in the near future- I'd go for Neil. And I also have bigger respect for him, at least for now... so in the end, I have to say, that at the moment he's the better player for me (and it's only partially about the titles, more about how he makes the most of what he has- and I'm not sure when and if Selby gets there).

Postby Wildey

Barry Hearn took down Live scoring because it did not work half the time and there is a new system on the way for PTC aswell as other tournaments it should have been done years ago

Postby Roland

My thoughts on the subject. The PTC is a godsend. Those criticising are not giving it a chance. What happened with live scoring is that it was so poor, someone has realised it can't carry on like this because it's not professional. It's already been stated that a new improved service will soon be upon us and when that happens I'm expecting the ball position data from PULSE although I haven't heard anything, it's just the logical way to progress. So the new live scoring will happen in due course so let's wait and see it before we criticise it.

Live streaming - this is something for the future as well. And I'm sure it will happen before the midway point of the season. But these things can't happen overnight, they need planning. I would rather wait for a proper service than a poor quality service.

And allowing members of the public in to watch. Well if anyone has seen the state of the ranking events last season then you'll see that having 10-20 people watching is pretty normal, and that doesn't exactly give the best impression does it? Snooker needs to get back off the ground and you can't go for it full blooded from the start because then there's a risk of crash and burn. It needs to be built up gradually.

Also the European events will be played in front of an audience and probably tv cameras as well. And when the interest picks up even more then regular UK PTC events will move into venues which a paying public can watch the action. It stands to reason that this is the ultimate goal.

But right now the main thing is to get it off the ground. I've not read a single negative comment from any of the players, only those fans who can't see the action. To call it a load of rubbish is totally not giving it a chance because it absolutely will take off once it's more established. It's a smart move too, dangling the carrot, showing that things are happening but making you wait until you can become a part of it.

I'm with tubber on this. I think it's a masterstroke by Hearn.

Postby Wildey

in the 90s there was 3 or 4 overseas Ranking events and all i had to know what happened was Teletext so its nothing new for me.

what disapoints me its taken this long to take a look at Live Scoring but it will come back soon better and its taken Barry Hearn to do that basic thing <doh>

Give it a chance guys this is the start of something good.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:That's exactly the point though, it needs time but at the moment it's just filler and no thriller.

well i think they great as they are but i know things can only get better <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

I think we are being a bit snooty towards the people criticising this. I mean, it can only be a good thing that fans feel frustration when they aren't able to watch matches that are happening. We sit and complain that there aren't enough fans, but when matches between top players are being played, and fans complain that they can't see them, this can only mean there are fans out there that want to watch them?

This doesn't mean that I necessarily think the PTC are a bad idea, nor am I particularly a Hearn-hater, which seems to be what you get called these days unless you say everything he does is brilliant. Obviously, I want the PTC to improve and get better. As they stand, they are a bit pointless, from a fan standpoint, if not a players. It's obviously good for the players, but we need to sort of the issues for those few fans who want to watch. And we want to increase those numbers of fans who will pay to watch. Those won't happen with non-televised events that fans aren't allowed into. However, Hearn isn't a dumb-ass, he must see that as it stand the PTC isn't going to address the issues of not enough fans. I can't see any beneficial reason why he would leave them the way they are. You can iron out the kinks in the tournament, make it good, before putting them on television. But, I've been saying all along lets give Hearn at least one full season, before we start judging him. He has done some things I do approve of, and has suggested new ideas that I don't like. But judge him on accomplishments not promises, I say. We can kiss his ass if he delivers, and deride him if he doesn't. For now, lets see how things go.

The PTC is an example. It can't stay the way it is if the sport wants to improve, but surely just by logic, the people in charge must realise that.

Postby Rocket_ron

SnookerFan wrote:I think we are being a bit snooty towards the people criticising this. I mean, it can only be a good thing that fans feel frustration when they aren't able to watch matches that are happening. We sit and complain that there aren't enough fans, but when matches between top players are being played, and fans complain that they can't see them, this can only mean there are fans out there that want to watch them?

This doesn't mean that I necessarily think the PTC are a bad idea, nor am I particularly a Hearn-hater, which seems to be what you get called these days unless you say everything he does is brilliant. Obviously, I want the PTC to improve and get better. As they stand, they are a bit pointless, from a fan standpoint, if not a players. It's obviously good for the players, but we need to sort of the issues for those few fans who want to watch. And we want to increase those numbers of fans who will pay to watch. Those won't happen with non-televised events that fans aren't allowed into. However, Hearn isn't a dumb-ass, he must see that as it stand the PTC isn't going to address the issues of not enough fans. I can't see any beneficial reason why he would leave them the way they are. You can iron out the kinks in the tournament, make it good, before putting them on television. But, I've been saying all along lets give Hearn at least one full season, before we start judging him. He has done some things I do approve of, and has suggested new ideas that I don't like. But judge him on accomplishments not promises, I say. We can kiss his ass if he delivers, and deride him if he doesn't. For now, lets see how things go.

The PTC is an example. It can't stay the way it is if the sport wants to improve, but surely just by logic, the people in charge must realise that.

:bowdown:
Comment of the day award

perfect sum up there <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

rocket_ron wrote:
:bowdown:
Comment of the day award

perfect sum up there <ok>

Why thank you very much. :redneck:

Out of interest, did Hearn outline his plans for the PTC beyond the first season? I know he produced big long descriptions of where he wants the sport to go, but it was one of those things where I'm sure none of us read the entire thing.

Arguing about the PTC at this stage seems pointless. Bottom line is none of us have watched any of it, so we are all a bit :huh2: Obviously to popularise the sport, that has to change. But arguing about whether it will or not at this early stage is a bit random. Do any of us actually know what the plans for this are?

Postby Wildey

snookerfan

could you have done better in such a short space of time.

Webcams,Cameras do not grow on trees Getting Broadcasters to Show them doesn't just fall on your lap this sport has been neglected by WPBSA board after WPBSA board and you think Barry Hearn comes in he should have everything sorted in 5 minutes GET REAL Mate.

the PTC is 2 tourno in to 12 and you want everything yesterday.......its trial and error at the moment Getting things Right.

i will be disappointed next season if things are the same but 1 month ago we did not know who would run this sport even so give it time before fannieng about like some stroppy teenager not getting what they want.

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:snookerfan

could you have done better in such a short space of time.

Webcams,Cameras do not grow on trees Getting Broadcasters to Show them doesn't just fall on your lap
this sport has been neglected by WPBSA board after WPBSA board and you think Barry Hearn comes in he should have everything sorted in 5 minutes GET REAL Mate.

the PTC is 2 tourno in to 12 and you want everything yesterday.......its trial and error at the moment Getting things Right.

i will be disappointed next season if things are the same but 1 month ago we did not know who would run this sport even so give it time before fannieng about like some stroppy teenager not getting what they want.

hit the nail on the head there wild in the first sentance "short space of time" yes this PTC tour has been rushed through in order to win votes. if hearn wasn't under the pressure of being voted president he might have spent more time organizing it.

Postby Wildey

SO WHAT ?

£800.000 more cash its not chicken feed mate ....

World Snooker been thinking and all they been doing is thinking for years thinking is the easy bit anyone can think about doing something...World Snooker been sitting on their ass trying to get the right way of moving forward and nothings happened for donkeys.....Snooker has to be rebuilt how do you suggest thats done ?

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:SO WHAT ?

£800.000 more cash its not chicken feed mate ....

World Snooker been thinking and all they been doing is thinking for years thinking is the easy bit anyone can think about doing something...World Snooker been sitting on their ass trying to get the right way of moving forward and nothings happened for donkeys.....Snooker has to be rebuilt how do you suggest thats done ?

not discussing this with you anymore.

i've tried a different approach than yesterday and your still getting heated.