Topic locked

Re: Is the PTC a masterclass on Hearn's part?

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:I reckon the finals will take place on Skysports and yes, of course the event will allow spectators and it will be seen as 4th behind the 3 majors by many. I'm waiting to see how the season goes with the 12 events first before I have an opinion on its status. But it looks like the PTC will be the backbone of the tour.

yes the PTC will be like the players normal tea then the main rankers will be a monthly trip to the restuarant <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:I reckon the finals will take place on Skysports and yes, of course the event will allow spectators and it will be seen as 4th behind the 3 majors by many. I'm waiting to see how the season goes with the 12 events first before I have an opinion on its status. But it looks like the PTC will be the backbone of the tour.

It will be the backbone of the tour, and hopefully they get the kinks all ironed out for a really top series next season <ok>

Postby Witz78

thetubberlad wrote:

It will be the backbone of the tour, and hopefully they get the kinks all ironed out for a really top series next season <ok>

also, i wouldnt rule out one of the EPTC event spawning into a fully fledged ranker next season in its own right.

Postby Wildey

That has always been the aim of the PTC .......get players playing and see what develops from it.

playing 3 days in europe wont cost as much as staging a week long ranker in front of a few people but if the intrest is there with good crowds then they will be looking for something bigger there.

it cost millions staging barhain because they didn't prepare it properly without knowing if the interest is there that is where EPTC Comes in.

Postby Noel

wildJONESEYE wrote:That has always been the aim of the PTC .......get players playing and see what develops from it..

Uhuh...
If the whole idea doesn't include get fans and possible fans watching then the "players playing" may as well be "with themselves"!

=o|

Noel

Postby SnookerFan

N_Castle07 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Changing the subject, as somebodies got to before people start killing each other, I would doubt ITV 3 would show it, but I'd prefer a channel other then Sky Sports. Sky Sports isn't a channel everybody has, and at a time that we are trying to popularise snooker getting it on a channel that goes to the maximum number of homes is vital.

I don't have Sky Sports as part of my package but i will be getting it for September purely because of the snooker PL.

But saying that, in todays day and age, not everybody can afford Sky Sports. And anyway, you are already a fan of snooker, and of the Premier League. Getting snooker on Sky Sports may be acceptable to people who already like snooker, but all we ever here is that there aren't enough fans. Surely restricting the amount of homes snooker goes into won't help this?

I appreciate Sky is more mainstream then Eurosport which a lot of snooker is on. But I just felt that if it a new event could get onto an ITV channel, then it could be at lest hyped up on one of the five terrestrail stations, even if it's tucked away on ITV 4.

If snooker was as watched as say football, you could put it on ESPN if you wanted to, and people would buy it just to watch snooker. Unfortunately, snooker isn't anywhere near that stage.

Postby SnookerFan

Can we all just close the book on this argument? The original question is "Is the PTC a masterclass?" I think the answer we all seem to have arrived on is that it is more; "A work in progress."

Bottom line is, we don't know how successful the PTC will be in the next few seasons, nor how much of it will be viewable by the public. These are issues that we want to see resolved. At present we have something that gives the players something to do, but other then that we have to reserve judgement to see what happens. I don't see what anybody benefits from trying to argue who is a bigger fan.

Now, lets get onto the real issue. Is the Wuxi Classic a masterstroke? <laugh> Just kidding.

Postby Wildey

Noel wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:That has always been the aim of the PTC .......get players playing and see what develops from it..

Uhuh...
If the whole idea doesn't include get fans and possible fans watching then the "players playing" may as well be "with themselves"!

=o|

Noel

When you go in to a supermarket do you watch people stacking shelves or at the Checkout ?

Snooker is a Job for Pro Players the priority is to get them working not fans watching.

Postby Madz

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Noel wrote:

Uhuh...

=o|

Noel

When you go in to a supermarket do you watch people stacking shelves or at the Checkout ?

Snooker is a Job for Pro Players the priority is to get them working not fans watching.

It's more sport that needs fans than fans need sport, I am afraid (why else would sponsors bother to invest money in snooker if the sport has no exposure to a big fan base and potential fans?). Snooker cannot completely ignore them. And in the past, it was also fans who pointed out snooker needs a change, because they also were not getting what they wanted. So I do hope there will be changes to accomodate fans as well... we'll see :)

Postby Wildey

Barry Hearn had a Sponsor for the PTC from the Start ......what does that tell us ?

it says they see where the PTC can go to

Postby Madz

The company that makes Star tables? Well they were involved in snooker already, and with the previous board as well. I wonder how much they provide in monetary terms, but I don't think we'll ever know that :) It is a good sign they agreed to be sponsors, but I do think they are looking for more exposure, as the fact their tables are used for pro tournaments would send a signal to fans and other people involved in sport that it's prestigeous to own a Star table, it's a quality product and it is 'pro standard'. Yes, they probably expect these events to be open to fans in the course of time, but the sooner it happens, the better for everyone.

Postby Wildey

honestly i do see where each and every one of you come from id like to click a link and yey live snooker and i can not believe if that is not part of the future this season Dave Hendon has also expressed his belief thats on the cards sometime.. he dont know and we dont know but Barry Hearn has always been a innovator and he knows that is where the PTC Goes next then if he gets the sport back on it feet it could evolve again but just like a new born baby you got to teach it to walk before he can run.

Postby Bourne

I don't get why people are treating it as a new thing though. Televised snooker has been around for ages and ages, there are some very good players playing in this series and we are being asked to guess how they're playing. We deserve more, and it surprises me how easily people settle for fifth-rate coverage.