Topic locked

Re: Players Tour Championship Event 2 Discusion!!!

Postby Tubberlad

So, two events, and two of the best players on tour have won both! Mark Williams and Mark Selby. In my opinion, it shows the cream does rise to the top, and if the entries for both events are anything to go by, this is a very fine initiative by Hearn <ok> top drawer stuff

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:So, two events, and two of the best players on tour have won both! Mark Williams and Mark Selby. In my opinion, it shows the cream does rise to the top, and if the entries for both events are anything to go by, this is a very fine initiative by Hearn <ok> top drawer stuff

although this event there was more shocks than the first.

but you need stamina in these events Selby played 24 Frames Today winning 16. even in the Final Day at the Crucible you only play a Maximum of 19 Frames

Postby Bourne

Do you think it's easier to play more frames here though since they're broken up into different matches, like, you can refresh your mindset after every match and re-group, like climbing little hills .. whereas in a world final, you're completely focussed on one goal and climbing one big mountain.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Bourne wrote:Do you think it's easier to play more frames here though since they're broken up into different matches, like, you can refresh your mindset after every match and re-group, like climbing little hills .. whereas in a world final, you're completely focussed on one goal and climbing one big mountain.

Good question. I'd say it would be harder to start, stop, start, stop, start, no? Harder to keep your rhythm I would have thought & you use more mental stamina getting yourself up again & again?

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Do you think it's easier to play more frames here though since they're broken up into different matches, like, you can refresh your mindset after every match and re-group, like climbing little hills .. whereas in a world final, you're completely focussed on one goal and climbing one big mountain.

ohhh its easier than the crucible no matter how many frames but point is by having the play condenced it gives a slight advantage to big time players.... if this event was run over a week i think there would be even more shocks..

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Yes i'm slowly starting to get into this series of tournaments, slowly. If Trump can get some wins soon I might get even more optimistic ;)

deadline for PTC 3 Tomorrow so i wander if the WC and the UK Champ getting in on the action.

Postby Wildey

Dave H said...

It was Barry Hearn's decision to take down the live scoring because it was an embarrasment - a correct one in my opinion because it brought nothing but derision on World Snooker

I've seen a mock-up of the new version coming soon...it's very, very good!

why has it taken barry hearn to come in to tell them that <laugh>

ive sent e mails coming out of my ears telling them that for the last 3 or 4 years <doh>

and the new version got the hendon seal of approval <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:Mark Selby is now a 2 time ranking event winner :idea:

Is that official though?
I think he's the best player in the world right now, and hopefully this is a taster for things to come. I think he's good enough to win a World title, fingers crossed.

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:
Sonny wrote:Mark Selby is now a 2 time ranking event winner :idea:

Is that official though?
I think he's the best player in the world right now, and hopefully this is a taster for things to come. I think he's good enough to win a World title, fingers crossed.

no lol

its ranking as sorts but it cant really compete with other tournaments but look at this chris turner records http://www.cajt.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/titles.html down the bottom lol

Postby Bourne

That opens an interesting question from tubbs there ... how many of these PTCs would a player have to win for them to be declared the best player in the world ? Not necessarily rankings wise but like, if Mark Selby won 3 in a row would that make him better than Robbo ? Would it value Selby's 3 PTCs over Robbo's 1 world title ?

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:That opens an interesting question from tubbs there ... how many of these PTCs would a player have to win for them to be declared the best player in the world ? Not necessarily rankings wise but like, if Mark Selby won 3 in a row would that make him better than Robbo ? Would it value Selby's 3 PTCs over Robbo's 1 world title ?

the way i look at the PTC is like tour de france or the football league.

you vying for position to try and win the contest first priority is be top 64 to be seeded for the next event then be top 24 at the end of the 12th to get in the finals.

then you up for winning a ranking title.

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Bourne wrote:That opens an interesting question from tubbs there ... how many of these PTCs would a player have to win for them to be declared the best player in the world ? Not necessarily rankings wise but like, if Mark Selby won 3 in a row would that make him better than Robbo ? Would it value Selby's 3 PTCs over Robbo's 1 world title ?

the way i look at the PTC is like tour de france or the football league.

you vying for position to try and win the contest first priority is be top 64 to be seeded for the next event then be top 24 at the end of the 12th to get in the finals.

then you up for winning a ranking title.

Yeh, how many though ? I can't take anyone calling Selby the best player in the world at the moment seriously, does that mean Pinches is the second best in the world ? :chin:

Postby Tubberlad

Personally, I feel the inclusion of ranking points was a masterstroke from Hearn. If you had no points, let's face it, nobody would give a dogs bullocks about these tournaments. Yes, shorter formats are more prone to strange results, but over the course of twelve events, luck will even itself out, almost certainly. The best players will ultimately rise to the top.

As for Bourne's question, it's all down to personal opinion. Selby has won far less than Robertson, yet I feel he's a better player. I like Robbo, and rate him very very highly, but I think Selby is a class act. He has underachieved, but I feel he's the best player in the World right now, needs the titles to prove it though.

Postby Wildey

Breakbuilding wise and safety wise he is the best player in the World no doubt about that however Ding and Robbo out doing him for whatever reason ....

he needs to start to put his money where his mouth or our mouths are he is Ranked 10th provisionally for a reason.

christ even Hendry was over 2,000 points ahead of him before these PTC that says it all of how poor hes been with results.

Postby Tubberlad

Rocket- deleted that comment. I have no problem with you disagreeing with my opinion, of course not, but try and put in a bit more detail than saying 'This is all bullocks'. :redneck:

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:How many PTC wins would he need to go top 3 in the world ?

at the moment selby is 8,550 points off top 3.

so another 5 PTC Would be the case lol

Postby Rocket_ron

thetubberlad wrote:Rocket- deleted that comment. I have no problem with you disagreeing with my opinion, of course not, but try and put in a bit more detail than saying 'This is all tezzies'. :redneck:

It wasn't anything to do with your comment if it were i would have quoted your comment.
Which i didn't

So Thanks

Postby Wildey

rocket_ron wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:Rocket- deleted that comment. I have no problem with you disagreeing with my opinion, of course not, but try and put in a bit more detail than saying 'This is all tezzies'. :redneck:

It wasn't anything to do with your comment if it were i would have quoted your comment.
Which i didn't

So Thanks

what was it then ?

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:

Which i didn't

So Thanks

what was it then ?

Doesn't matter now wild, it will only get deleted

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:

Good incentive then lol

Postby Tubberlad

rocket_ron wrote:

Which i didn't

So Thanks

Rocket said 'This is all bullocks'. I don't know what he is referring to, but I would encourage him to elaborate as to what exactly is bullocks lol. Sorry Rocket.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

Good incentive then lol

there are 6 events to be played before the cut off point with 22,000 points up for grabs lol