Topic locked

Re: Players Tour Championship Event 2 Discusion!!!

Postby Tubberlad

Bourne wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
Bourne wrote:How many PTC wins would he need to go top 3 in the world ?

at the moment selby is 8,550 points off top 3.

so another 5 PTC Would be the case lol

Good incentive then lol

But it's a case of every little helps. He has an improved chance of reaching the top three with these events in the mix, rather than just your average run of the mill rankers. If he performs well in these events, and mixes it with, lets say, a UK title, he's bang in the mix <ok>

Postby Bourne

Yeh I know it's not doing him any harm by doing well in these tournaments, good on him. But I need to be convinced with more than a couple of runs in BO7 that he's the best in the world, especially when many of the greats of today's game are missing.

Postby Wildey

what you got to remember with Points being Taken off Selby has the least of anyone at the top being taken off before cut off 2 he wasent in barhain and he Lost last 32 in the UK of 2008 so only 1050 gets deducted before the second Cut Off point

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Yeh I know it's not doing him any harm by doing well in these tournaments, good on him. But I need to be convinced with more than a couple of runs in BO7 that he's the best in the world, especially when many of the greats of today's game are missing.

the tournaments selby got his eye on are the others mate these are great events but they wont define a career...

you dont reach Hendry Level of success winning PTC lol

Postby Tubberlad

Bourne wrote:Yeh I know it's not doing him any harm by doing well in these tournaments, good on him. But I need to be convinced with more than a couple of runs in BO7 that he's the best in the world, especially when many of the greats of today's game are missing.

Well, that's fair enough. I'm not basing it on PTC wins, I've been saying this since the World Championship. I think Selby was the best player at Sheffield, wasn't far off being the best the year before, and was a class act in both his clashes with O'Sullivan in 2010. The main problem I have is that he doens't win enough rankers, considering how good he is. Until then, I'm basing this totally on opinion, but it's an opinion I'll hold all the same.

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:

the tournaments selby got his eye on are the others mate these are great events but they wont define a career...

you dont reach Hendry Level of success winning PTC lol

Yeh exactly, but if say Robbo missed every PTC up till August, would you still refer to him as the best player in the world even if the rankings didn't say that ?

Postby Wildey

we still say Selby Best Player in the World and hes bloody 10th in the rankings lol

Ronnie is 2000 points behind Bunny Carter lol

What do you think but Problem for Selbyor anyone being down at 10th he could get a Last 16 against Ronnie or Higgins to Avoid them until later Players has to climbe.

Postby Bourne

For Selby I don't think that's overly important, his problem is not with the best players because he always raises his level and Selby's best level is probably up there in the top 3 or 4 but it's his B and C game that suffers when he's struggling, so I don't necessarily think a R16 match vs O'Sullivan will be any more painful for him than a R16 match vs say, Fu ? :huh2:

Postby Tubberlad

Judging the best player in the World isn't an exact science. Rankings? O'Sullivan behind Carter, Selby tenth, who's really willing to believe that? Titles? The strongest factor, but I personally don't think Robertson is a better player than Selby, and I also think that the likes of Stevens were a LOT better than one ranking event may suggest. As with Dott only having two. I base it one personal viewing and recent form. For me, it's Selby right now. In the past it was Higgins, O'Sullivan, Maguire at the end of 2004, Williams, Hendry etc. It can change very frequently.

Postby Tubberlad

Bourne wrote:For Selby I don't think that's overly important, his problem is not with the best players because he always raises his level and Selby's best level is probably up there in the top 3 or 4 but it's his B and C game that suffers when he's struggling, so I don't necessarily think a R16 match vs O'Sullivan will be any more painful for him than a R16 match vs say, Fu ? :huh2:

Good comment. I think Selby has a problem with 'lesser' players, if I may be so snobby. He can raise his game for O'Sullivan, but can he maintain than consistency for a tournament? We saw at Sheffield that he didn't do that. He should have won the title, but Dott deserved his win in that semi-final, simple as that.

Postby Bourne

Well it's definitely good that we're even getting the chance to debate it during the PTC because in years gone by, we'd have been stuck with the same top three for 4 months over the summer, so bamos the PTC !

Postby Wildey

What would be a achievement for new younger players who will be the first player since Ronnie to Reach no 1 For the very first time.

since Rankings began only 7 men has ever been no 1

Reardon
Thorburn
S Davis
Hendry
J Higgins
M Williams
O'Sullivan

Ronnie was the last in 2002 to reach it for the first time.

Postby Tubberlad

Bourne wrote:Well it's definitely good that we're even getting the chance to debate it during the PTC because in years gone by, we'd have been stuck with the same top three for 4 months over the summer, so bamos the PTC !

Aye, true that. It's a great idea, and I think we'll really see it going from strength once it hits Europe.

Anyway, I better be off to bed. I've had some very late nights this week between drinking, dancing... and other stuff. Viva Ibiza <cool> night lads

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Robbo might be having a look at that in the coming months !

obviously the aim is to be the end of season No 1 ...

your a Tennis nut am i right in thinking theres more prestige on being the end of season No 1 ?

Postby Bourne

Well it gets a little trophy at the end of every year but honestly, I don't think it's nearly as prestigious as winning a slam, I don't see why being world number one in November should get more kudos than being world number one in July, if you follow ?

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Well it gets a little trophy at the end of every year but honestly, I don't think it's nearly as prestigious as winning a slam, I don't see why being world number one in November should get more kudos than being world number one in July, if you follow ?

during Wimbledon Martina Navratilova said during her time being world no 1 was more prestigious than slams but now its all change.

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Bourne wrote:Well it gets a little trophy at the end of every year but honestly, I don't think it's nearly as prestigious as winning a slam, I don't see why being world number one in November should get more kudos than being world number one in July, if you follow ?

during Wimbledon Martina Navratilova said during her time being world no 1 was more prestigious than slams but now its all change.

I think if you ask anyone today, be it ATP or WTA, if they'd prefer to hold a slam or be world number one, it'll be 99%+ in favour of a slam. There's been several women's number ones recently who don't have slams, that's only happened like, once in the last 20 years in the men's game. It's the same in the snooker as far as i'm concerned, the player I support, I would always want them to have a world title over a world number one, even though there's been less number-ones, being world champion is a title you will never, ever lose and showed you could crack the nut when it mattered most.

Postby Roland

Absolutely no disrespect to Robbo who is a fantastic player, but I also think Selby is better. And hopefully we'll finally get to see them start to play each other before long because these pit stop refreshes of the rankings will help to mix up the draw some more. I can't ever remember them meeting each other. Hopefully we'll have a few finals this season and then we'll find out. Selby did indeed play better snooker than Robbo at the Worlds, and Dott played even better than that but you can only beat what's in front of you.

Postby N_Castle07

I notice that Selby's wikipedia page has defined his PTC win as a minor-ranking event as they did with Williams win. I also think Selby is a better player than Robbo and would expect him to beat Robbo if they meet in a major. However Robbo is proving me wrong all the time these days. :scared:

Postby Tubberlad

Robertson has fantastic ability under pressure, and is able to maintain consistency throughout a tournament. That is why Robertson is a five time ranking event winner. I don't doubt that Selby is good under pressure, I think he's arguably the strongest player mentally, but that bit of consistency and ruthlessness (ie against lesser players) is missing.

On another note, I think with the exception of O'Sullivan, Selby and Robertson are quite a bit ahead of the rest right now <ok> Ding is a very fine player, but question marks are still there, especially after the Crucible.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

I think if you ask anyone today, be it ATP or WTA, if they'd prefer to hold a slam or be world number one, it'll be 99%+ in favour of a slam. There's been several women's number ones recently who don't have slams, that's only happened like, once in the last 20 years in the men's game. It's the same in the snooker as far as i'm concerned, the player I support, I would always want them to have a world title over a world number one, even though there's been less number-ones, being world champion is a title you will never, ever lose and showed you could crack the nut when it mattered most.

Martina said in her time 20 to 30 years ago.

what i will say in snooker theres been 7 No 1 and 18 World Champions in the same period so being no 1 has been much harder to get. every No 1 has been World champions and i think in that time only Stephen Lee has ever been provisional no 1 without being World Champion.

Postby Tubberlad

Ask a player what they'd prefer though, reguardless of how tough they are to attain? World Number One or World Champion? 99% of them, with the 1% being Murphy, would say World Champion. Would Jimmy White pick top of the rankings over a World Title?

Postby Wildey

I Agree Tubber

but i think being no 1 in snooker is a higher achievement these days than it is in Tennis that what i was getting at.

You win Tournaments and the Rankings look after themselves.

Postby Tubberlad

Possibly so. If I was a professional player though, I wouldn't care that much about being World Number One. It would be nice, sure, but at the end of the day I'd much prefer to be a World Champion, or even UK Champion. If I were a Tennis player I'd prefer to have a slam to my name. If I were a Golfer, I'd prefer a major. It's simple as that.