Topic locked

Re: China Open Wild Card and 1st Round Discussion!!

Postby Tubberlad

I think Williams and Allen will be in with a big shout too. As for Robertson, he's a big contender for Sheffield I feel, and I don't think he'll want to peak too soon.

Postby Wildey

Latest and Result

Rod Lawler 3-3 Supoj Saenla (Thailand)
Robert Milkins 5-2 Lu Chenwei
Andrew Higginson 5-0 Li Yan
Mark Davis 3-4 Tian Pengfei

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:I think Williams and Allen will be in with a big shout too. As for Robertson, he's a big contender for Sheffield I feel, and I don't think he'll want to peak too soon.

you cant pick and chose when you will peak if it happens it happens you could think like that go to Sheffield and bom out 10-4 thinking what a sausage ive been.

Postby Wildey

Mark Davis Scores a Total Clearance of 143 with his first chance in frame 8 to force a decider against Pengfei.

it was also Mark Davis's Career Best beating 140 he scored in the International Open of 1997.

Results

Rod Lawler 5-3 Supoj Saenla (Thailand)
Robert Milkins 5-2 Lu Chenwei
Andrew Higginson 5-0 Li Yan
Mark Davis 4-5 Tian Pengfei

12.30pm

James Wattana v Au Chi Wai (Hong Kong)
Tony Drago v Shi Shuamgyang
Rory McLeod v Liu Chuang
Bjorn Haneveer v Yu Delu

Postby Alex0paul

Sonny wrote:He will.

A few seasons ago I thought Hawkins was a dead cert for the top 16. He's a class player but his weakness is obvious and it's the reason he's not a household name - fear of the winning line. Seen it so many times. I'm sure someone can post some stats of his results and see how many final frame "lottery" deciders he's lost.

A bit late but I think the loss to Jamie Cope here in China back in 2007 set him back a bit. He hadn't won a match all season in his only season in the top 16 came to China and reached the semis and basically lost the match having so many chances to win it including being 5-4 up with Cope needing a couple of snookers. The match went down to the black ball and he missed a sitter too.

Looking back it is weird that he was in the top 16 for a season.

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul wrote:

A few seasons ago I thought Hawkins was a dead cert for the top 16. He's a class player but his weakness is obvious and it's the reason he's not a household name - fear of the winning line. Seen it so many times. I'm sure someone can post some stats of his results and see how many final frame "lottery" deciders he's lost.

A bit late but I think the loss to Jamie Cope here in China back in 2007 set him back a bit. He hadn't won a match all season in his only season in the top 16 came to China and reached the semis and basically lost the match having so many chances to win it including being 5-4 up with Cope needing a couple of snookers. The match went down to the black ball and he missed a sitter too.

mmmmmmmmm i wander why you remember that tournament so well ?

***cough*** ***cough*** ;)

Postby Wildey

Wattana's Playing,Dragos Playing and Mcleod vs Crucible Chinaman Chaung Playing and Eurosport Showing Hanever vs Yu Delu <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh>

Postby Alex0paul

wildJONESEYE wrote:Wattana's Playing,Dragos Playing and Mcleod vs Crucible Chinaman Chaung Playing and Eurosport Showing Hanever vs Yu Delu <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh>

Well he is Belgian and there will be a decent sized audience there probably. Plus he is playing the best of the four wildcards this afternoon so there could be a 'shock' (Even though I make Yu favourite).

Postby Roland

Alex0paul wrote:

Yeah I forgot about that match. Cope played awesome snooker to dispatch of Mark Williams earlier in the event but I remember him being lucky to win his semi but until you mentioned it I forgot who it was against! And yes I had to double check because I'd forgotten Hawkins was top 16 for a season. I guess the year he made it would've been the year I was thinking he'd be around for a few years to come. Can't see it happening for him now though.

Right, how's Chuang doing? And who picked Pengfai?

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:
Right, how's Chuang doing?

god knows they showing hanever vs Yu delu

i honestly got that as 4th choice of todays matches....

But Lives Back :excited:

Latest

James Wattana 1-0 Au Chi Wai (Hong Kong)
Tony Drago 1-0 Shi Shuamgyang
Rory McLeod 0-1 Liu Chuang
Bjorn Haneveer 0-0 Yu Delu

Postby Tubberlad

Pengfei beat Mark Davis :scared:
I would actually have him down as one of the better Wildcards, but Davis is in decent form so it's a surprise....

On the Barry Hawkins topic, he's always a player I've rated very highly, and it didn't surprise me when he made the top 16 at all. His mental strength has let him down though, he's lost countless deciding frames and has taken a few hammerings too. Saw him play Ronnie at the Kilkenny Masters Final in 2007 and he got totally trounced

Postby Wildey

Latest

James Wattana 3-0 Au Chi Wai (Hong Kong)
Tony Drago 2-1 Shi Shuamgyang
Rory McLeod 0-3 Liu Chuang
Bjorn Haneveer 1-2 Yu Delu

Postby Roland

His opponent is one of only four 17 year olds to play at the Crucible. I would be very surprised if you didn't hear his name again given the others are O'Sullivan, Hendry and Trump.

now 4-0 to Chuang

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:His opponent is one of only four 17 year olds to play at the Crucible. I would be very surprised if you didn't hear his name again given the others are O'Sullivan, Hendry and Trump.

now 4-0 to Chuang

he is a very good cueist but it takes more than that to do it.

yes hes played at the crucible but he is a million miles from there at the moment but he is putting McLeod to the sword this afternoon but from what the commentators said McLeod has contributed to that scoreline with some poor play.

Latest and Results

James Wattana 5-0 Au Chi Wai (Hong Kong)
Tony Drago 3-3 Shi Shuamgyang
Rory McLeod 0-5 Liu Chuang
Bjorn Haneveer 4-4 Yu Delu

Postby Roland

What do you know about him wild? His circumstances, his style of play, how he coped in the UK? Do you even know what he looks like?

So quick to judge always.

Postby Bourne

5-0 over McLeod ? Wow, I know Liu might have played well but Rory at least battles the hell over a match wherever he is, I guess he's still smarting from that loss against Greene :huh2:

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:What do you know about him wild? His circumstances, his style of play, how he coped in the UK? Do you even know what he looks like?

So quick to judge always.

i saw him play a bit today ...did you ?

im not quick to judge i hardly judged him im just saying it as he is hes done nothing in the game apart from reaching the crucible if theres anyone fast to judge is you comparing him to Ronnie and Hendry just because he reached the crucible at 17 <doh>

Postby Wildey

Results

James Wattana 5-0 Au Chi Wai (Hong Kong)
Tony Drago 5-3 Shi Shuamgyang
Rory McLeod 0-5 Liu Chuang
Bjorn Haneveer 5-4 Yu Delu

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul wrote:I was quite impressed with Haneveer, he played some good snooker to come back and win that match.

showed his Experience plus fluency yes i agree very impressive.