Topic locked

Re: Welsh Open Last 32 and Last 16 Discussion!!

Postby Alex0paul

Bourne wrote:HTHs

Stevens 1-1 Pinches
Robbo 0-0 Song
Ebdon 1-4 Hawkins
Carter 2-1 Davis
Fu 0-1 Higginson

Didn't Robertson beat Song in the final of the under 21 World Championship?

Postby GJ

Alex0paul wrote:

Stevens 1-1 Pinches
Robbo 0-0 Song
Ebdon 1-4 Hawkins
Carter 2-1 Davis
Fu 0-1 Higginson

Neil Robertson won the IBSF Under 21 World Snooker Championship, defeating Liu Song of China 11-5.

<cool>

Postby Bourne

Alex0paul wrote:

Stevens 1-1 Pinches
Robbo 0-0 Song
Ebdon 1-4 Hawkins
Carter 2-1 Davis
Fu 0-1 Higginson

Only real matches count.

Postby GJ

Five-Year Flashback
A trip down memory lane to the last five finals at the Newport Centre...

Ronnie O’Sullivan 9-8 Stephen Hendry
In a final of outstanding quality between two of snooker’s all-time greats, O’Sullivan won the Welsh Open for a second consecutive year, having beaten Steve Davis in the 2004 final. Hendry knocked in breaks of 92 and 140 in taking a 3-1 lead, then O’Sullivan stole frame five on a respotted black and battled back to 4-4 by the end of the first session. Hendry regained the lead with a 93, O’Sullivan levelled with a 102. The Scot crept into a 7-5 lead, but his English opponent would not lie down and stormed back with 75, 52 and 131 as the match went to a deciding frame. From nowhere, O’Sullivan crafted a brilliant break of 67, which was enough to secure the title. “Hendry is the main man to measure your game against. He is still the greatest player I have ever played against. I always enjoy battling it out with him,” said the Rocket.

Stephen Lee 9-4 Shaun Murphy
Lee hadn’t won a ranking title for four years, but showed that he still had the game to beat the very best. The Wiltshire pro took a 4-0 lead in the final with a top break of 120. Murphy, then the reigning World Champion, battled back to 4-3, but crucially lost the last frame of the opening session on the black. The first two frames of the evening’s play were shared to leave the score at 6-4, then Lee impressively pulled away to win the last three frames and capture the fourth ranking crown of his career. “I spent a long time practising hard and not getting the results, it felt as if I was banging my head against a wall. To win a trophy and see that work pay off is what it’s all about,” said Lee.

Neil Robertson 9-8 Andrew Higginson
Robertson started the final a clear favourite, having proved his quality by winning the Grand Prix earlier in the season, which made him the first ever Australian winner of a ranking event. Higginson, by contrast, was considered perhaps the most unlikely ranking finalist in snooker history, having never previously been beyond the quarter-finals. And indeed it looked like plain sailing for Robertson in the first session as he built a 6-2 lead, compiling breaks of 76, 71, 98 and 74, though Higginson did show his ability with a 114 in frame two. But in the evening session, Higginson made an amazing comeback, winning six consecutive frames with runs of 54, 100, 97, 64 and 81. Finding himself 8-6 behind, Robertson regrouped and showed his class under pressure by winning the last three frames for a 9-8 victory thanks to breaks of 92 and 59. “When I went 8-6 down I was thinking I’d blown it. I had to hang in there and hope that I would get a chance,” said Robertson.

Mark Selby 9-8 Ronnie O’Sullivan
Selby had captured his first major title just a few weeks earlier, winning the prestigious Masters at Wembley, and he would go on to make it a tremendous double by adding his first ranking crown. The first session finished neck and neck at 4-4, Selby making breaks of 77, 51, 70 and 65, O’Sullivan responding with 50 and 108. The Rocket started the evening session superbly with 93 and 135 to go 6-4 up, and although Selby won the next with a 72, he soon found himself 8-5 down after further runs of 63 and 54 from O’Sullivan. But the Leicester Jester has developed a reputation for producing his best in close matches, and he hit back to 8-8 with a top run of 63. The deciding frame was in the balance until O’Sullivan went for a risky double on the last red, missed it and left his opponent to clear up. "I just tried to feed myself some positive vibes and think back to matches I have won in the past. Strangely, I felt more relaxed the longer the game went on,” said Selby.

Ali Carter 9-5 Joe Swail
This was a meeting of two players desperate to win, as neither had previously won a ranking title. Swail, in fact, had gone 18 years as a professional without ever making a final. The player nicknamed The Outlaw came out with all guns blazing in the first session, taking a 5-2 lead with a top break of 60. But Carter gave himself hope by taking the last frame of the opening session with a run of 54, then produced a devastating burst of scoring in the evening as he reeled off seven consecutive frames to realise the greatest moment of his career. Breaks of 116, 109, 61, 91 and 67 saw him storm to victory. “It's all about winning, to be able to go home and say no one has beaten you," he said.

Postby GJ

WELSH OPEN
22-31 January 2010

Live on BBC Two Wales and BBC Sport website.

Schedule (all times GMT):

Mon 25: 1300-1715, 1900-2000

Tue 26: 1300-1345, 1400-1715, 1900-2000

Wed 27: 1400-1715, 1900-2000

Thu 28: 1300-1715, 1930-2000

Fri 29: 1300-1715, 1900-2100

Sat 30: 1300-1700, 1900-2100

Sun 31: 1330-1700, 1900-2200

Postby Smart

wildJONESEYE wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:Wednesday evening is a problem. :huh:

ManUre vs City clashing with snooker. I think it will be a question of lots of channel hopping and sky-plussing the snooker. <ok>

no contest rather O'Brian vs Ebdon than watching that bore fest.

I'm a sports fan - and that 1st leg was immense entertainment. I will cover all angles - just a bit of juggling required. :ahh: :D :ahh: :D

Postby Iranu

Two factors for a good day there, SnookerFan, not to mention a sign of a good night last night!

Is it just me or does Stevens look a bit leaner than usual? Also, the commentator that isn't Terry Griffiths (John Adams is it?) is really getting on my tits.

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:Two factors for a good day there, SnookerFan, not to mention a sign of a good night last night!

Is it just me or does Stevens look a bit leaner than usual? Also, the commentator that isn't Terry Griffiths (John Adams is it?) is really getting on my tits.

John Evans dominated the welsh open cements last year is that trend going to continue ?

Monday 25 January 2010

1pm

Last 48

Matthew Stevens 1-2 Barry Pinches

Last 32

Neil Robertson 2-1 Liu Song
Peter Ebdon 0-2 Barry Hawkins

Postby Iranu

John Evans that's the one, my bad. But yeah I remember thinking the same way last year, that he reminds me of a Welsh Dennis Taylor without the snooker knowledge. Nice to hear Griffiths though, I think he's possibly the best player commentator on the BBC at least, though he does use humour a bit too often sometimes.

Postby Casey

I thought the Welsh Open would be on the red button like in previous years. There are two TV tables but in reality we will only see one match, I know today eurosport are showing a different match but that wont happen often

Postby Wildey

Lucky balls wrote:Whats the little remote control thingy the Refs got?

i think thats table 2 so theres no scorer on that table...

proberbly Robbo v Song on main table but stevens is welsh therefore welsh tv showing it

Postby Wildey

case_master wc wrote:I thought the Welsh Open would be on the red button like in previous years. There are two TV tables but in reality we will only see one match, I know today eurosport are showing a different match but that wont happen often

its never been on red apart from the semi finals.

Postby Lucky

Its on the Robbo match <ok> Looking at the overall view, Stevens is on main table with Robbo on the other 'end' table. Obviously Ebdon - Hawkins in t'middle.

Postby Wildey

Lucky balls wrote:Its on the Robbo match <ok> Looking at the overall view, Stevens is on main table with Robbo on the other 'end' table. Obviously Ebdon - Hawkins in t'middle.

whatever table they on ref on table 2 has a zapper lol

Postby Wildey

Monday 25 January 2010

1pm

Last 48

Matthew Stevens 2-2 Barry Pinches

Last 32

Neil Robertson 3-2 Liu Song
Peter Ebdon 0-4 Barry Hawkins

Postby Wildey

case_master wc wrote:Peter Ebdon in big trouble at 4-0 down, he is provisionally ranked 17th so with a first round loss here he could heading out of the top 16 <ok>

Ebdon has been hanging around that area for about 3 years and to think he has a ranking title in that points tally the china open just shows how poor he has been otherwise last 2 seasons.

Postby Casey

Last year he was in the same position but won the China Open to save himself, he will need to do the same this year. Winning his first round match at the Crucible might not be enough